24 replies to this topic

#1 Monkeyclubman

Monkeyclubman

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 08:42 PM

Hi all I'm building a 1275 head and would like some advice please.
I be given some double valve springs but iv only have 7 full springs and one normal valve spring with a small spring inside would this be ok to run or should I go back to original one s thanks...

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,197 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 01 September 2016 - 08:48 PM

You need a full set of matching springs. And the springs need to be suitable for the cam you have fitted.

#3 Monkeyclubman

Monkeyclubman

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 09:18 PM

OK will put the original ones back as it the original cam...
I all so have the opportunity to get some hight lift rockers would these be worth fitting thanks for the advice...

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 18,197 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 08:56 AM

no.

#5 Compdoc

Compdoc

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 02 September 2016 - 09:22 AM

no.

He's a man of few words, Nicklouse! But usually right.

I wouldn't expect too much improvement in power just by adding high lift rockers. Although, if you do give it a try, it would be worth turning the engine over slowly by hand after fitting to make sure that the valve spring coils do not touch on full lift or the valve heads touch the pistons. Also check clearance between the rockers and the inside of the rocker cover as some alloy rocker covers will foul and possibly, damage the rockers.

#6 Monkeyclubman

Monkeyclubman

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 10:22 AM

Thanks for the help guys I really appreciate the info...
I think I will just stick to original ones

#7 Monkeyclubman

Monkeyclubman

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 10:44 AM

Can I ask another question as well thanks.
The original car owner didn't run a heater matrix and blocked off the heater take off the head...
I want and think I should put either a heater matrix back or is ok to to put the two pipes together with no heater matrix in between sorry about all the questions but thanks...

#8 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 12:13 PM

You can attach the 2 pipes together to achieve a pointless loop of coolant yes. Why you would want to do this however is a different matter lol

#9 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,410 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 02 September 2016 - 12:35 PM

The original car owner didn't run a heater matrix and blocked off the heater take off the head...
I want and think I should put either a heater matrix back or is ok to to put the two pipes together with no heater matrix in between sorry about all the questions but thanks...

If you connect them together you're taking heated water from head and putting it straight back into the block by bypassing the radiator. Not a good idea.

#10 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 18,197 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 01:13 PM

If you connect them together you're taking heated water from head and putting it straight back into the block by bypassing the radiator. Not a good idea.

debatable.

you are taking some of the hot water and mixing it with cooled water before it goes back into the block.  so yes it will warm up faster.

#11 Monkeyclubman

Monkeyclubman

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 02:02 PM

So if I put a matrix in the engine bay for the two pipes would that work and mout it behind the radiator???

#12 Icey

Icey

• Traders
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 02:07 PM

So if I put a matrix in the engine bay for the two pipes would that work and mout it behind the radiator???

Why? That just doesn't make sense. If you're using the car on the road you'll want a heater. If you're not it's your choice.

Connecting or blocking the take-off has implications for warm up (thermostat bypass) but putting a heater matrix under the bonnet isn't the solution.

#13 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 02:10 PM

Why? That just doesn't make sense. If you're using the car on the road you'll want a heater. If you're not it's your choice.

Connecting or blocking the take-off has implications for warm up (thermostat bypass) but putting a heater matrix under the bonnet isn't the solution.
Bypass?how? If the valve is closed water shouldnt Flow anyway?

#14 Icey

Icey

• Traders
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 02:14 PM

Bypass?how? If the valve is closed water shouldnt Flow anyway?

Most/many A series heads have a bypass built in, metros used a sandwich plate. Its to allow water to flow around the whole system while the engine warms but not enough to cool it.

#15 Monkeyclubman

Monkeyclubman

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 02:42 PM

Mine is a metro 1275 and no heater or controls in the car last guy removed it and only using it in summer so not to fussed about having one...
Just thought I should do something with the heater take on the left side as I would of thought with out it it was only cooling half of the engine.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users