4 replies to this topic

#1 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 09:01 AM

My rear drums (spacered drums, '90 mini) catch at a certain point on the circumference...

it's not really hard, doesn't make any noise as such but obviously it makes adjusting the brakes near impossible since the wheel will practically be locked at that certain point during its rotation while at others it spins easily...

This is on both wheels, left and right, but mostly on the left.

Brake shoes were changed to some almost new ones from my other car.

Could anyone give me any tips on how to resolve this? I want solid, good brakes!!

#2 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 20 July 2004 - 09:22 AM

I had the same problem on mine, it turned out to be a siezed wheel cylinder, causing the shoe to self servo when you adjusted it up, meaning it was a pig to adjust and the pedal was pants. The cylinder would push out easy enough, but wouldn't go back on, causing all the difficulties. It could well be that with yours too.

#3 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 09:33 AM

but then it would drag the entire time that i turn the wheel, it wouldn't catch in the same spot over and over. I'm lead to believe that it's a not true drum...

Wheel cylinders are brand new!!! (That's why I am messing with the brakes ;p)

#4 philster

philster

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 03:20 PM

i had problems with this and it was down to a warped (or egged) brake drum. I changed both brake drums and it still did it, My dad had a look at them and used a tool he has to check if the new drums were okay and it turned out the new ones were warped as well. When i took them back to minisport they checked them out and agreed to replace them. This didn't solve it as these to were also warped. When i took them back again minisport decided to check what they had in stock and they were all the same (like they'd been machine off-centre). Eventually they got a new batch in and these were better (but not perfect).

#5 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 09:41 PM

This is so common it is almost standard. As you can see from Philster's reply standard mini drums vary in quality enormously, even OE ones. The shoes you have on could be not centered correctly, or it could simply be that they have run in to fit the drums they were originally fitted with. Or they could indeed be slightly warped. Even when you fit brand new brake linings you shouldn't expect them to be bedded in nicely for about 400 miles, especially shoes as they don't wear anywhere near as much as pads. So slightly second hand ones will take a little longer still. If the problem isn't that bad and the car stops nicely with no judder then give them a few weeks to settle in, and if they're still bad then change them. Just keep adjusting them in the meantime.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users