2 replies to this topic

#1 jeffberg

jeffberg

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 05:55 AM

Well, aside from my small mishap I had quite a bit of fun at the Miniguy's this weekend. When we were on our Mini Run through the friggin hot desert of inland ventura in our minis my hood decided to catch wind. Then the main latch decided not to latch, then the emergency latch decided to rip right off. And lastly the bonnet decided to come up in my face and block my view. After taking a fun little slide on the dirt while coming to a full and complete stop we went to investigate. The hood was bent way out of shape. Some of the pain had chipped. And we decided to just unbolt it and put it into another Moke for safekeeping.

Later analysis. I need a new hood, hinges, latch, and paint for the hood, and touchups for the chips.
or
New hinges, bodywork on the hood and paint for the chips.

Luckily none of the airbrushed bits were chipped. I got a quote from the guy who painted it originally. Just plain orange on a new hood would be around 300 buckeroos!!! and to duplicate the checkers would be $600!
I think I will be able to find someone to do the bodywork for less than that. Then I will just use leather straps instead of the rusted emergency latch.

Just wondering though. Has anyone seen cool looking Carbon Fiber or Fiberglass hoods for less than 600 bucks?

#2 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 09:39 AM

Yep carbon bonnets should be around the 120 pound sterling mark if i remember correctly... Can't imagine shipping being 200 quid!!

#3 tom

tom

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 11:31 AM

Yep, carbon bonnets are cheap(ish), enough so, that I am considering buying one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users