#16 CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,587 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 12 July 2004 - 07:54 AM

I think for the amount they will put up your insurance for a stage one kit it might be best to tell them (No idea how much it is though, shouldnt be too much, I hope). As you dont want to have invalid insurance if you crash your pride and joy.

#17 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 09:24 AM

i no lol thats y i asked how much it would put it up! he he id rather pay more and be insured than not be insured! thats mad :tongue: and illigal :erm:

#18 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 09:27 AM

if i were you, id just enjoy the car how it is atm and then later when your insurance goes down, then do some modifications.

#19 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 09:56 AM

Ok then :grin:

#20 lewis

lewis

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,322 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey

Posted 12 July 2004 - 10:03 AM

thats a valid point, I think befoire im driving i may as well get everything working tip top, then after ive driven for a couple months then think hmmmmmm i wouldnt mind a pair of new seats, something comfy etc

#21 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 10:16 AM

Kool after the MOT we are getting seats in ours : :grin:

#22 lewis

lewis

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,322 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey

Posted 12 July 2004 - 10:27 AM

hahaha i dont have mot hahaha, good ol Jersey

#23 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 10:38 AM

As far as I know, the only parts they are allowed to charge you extra insurance for are the needle, spring and inlet manifold. These are tuning mods only. The other parts count as service replacement, and are covered by the same law that says manufacturers can't void warranties if you fit pattern exhausts or generic filter elements. Thats why it doesn't cost much to declare a stage one kit. The companies seem to think that there is not much tuning to be done with a stock carb. They don't understand SUs. They charge alot more for twin carbs or new cams. I would always declare stuff, otherwise you're knackered when they won't pay out.
I'm pretty sure that they aren't allowed to void your third party either, unless they can prove you are driving a vehicle you know to be dangerous.
If you're gonna use a K&N in the standard casing, it sometimes pays to drill several large (25mm) holes around the outer wall of the casing to let more air in. This can make cold starting a pig though, as it means the hot air inake valve is useless, but they generally only last 25000 miles anyway before they pack up. Remember to get your car rolling roaded. If you make any such changes to the stage one kit, then the fuelling may not be correct, and you may not be able to tune it following the instructions.

#24 tom

tom

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 01:20 PM

What I was trying to say, was that due to the similarity in appearance between the stock OE parts, and the Stage One bits, it's virtually impossible to tell the difference, unless you are knowledgeable on Minis. The chances of getting caught by the insurance company are virtually nil.

#25 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 01:32 PM

Tom, insurance company loss adjusting mechanics know their stuff. Their job is to stop you getting paid off, and they will use anything they can to get the nice bonus check the insurers give them. Insurance car inspections will turn up just about anything that is wrong, and a K&N pancake filter looks very wrong compared to a plastic tub.

#26 jeffberg

jeffberg

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 03:58 PM

i agree with dan
insurance companies will do literally anything to find a legal reason NOT to pay you.
If you crash and then the inspection finds you had 20 more bhp than you did when you were insured, they will find a way not to pay you.

What I would do is ask them. How much would you bump my insurance? Then if they bump it at all say something to the effect. "All right, I'll call some other companies and get some more quotes" and see if they change their mind.

I do that with banks here all the time
if I miss a payment on my Credit Card and they want to hit me with fees and interest. I just tell them. All right, I'll pay the fees, but I want you to cancel my credit card. So cancel it for me and I'll pay whatever fees I must. And they always give in.

Remember, they make more money when you pay them than when you go to a different company.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users