25 replies to this topic

#1 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 04:54 AM

Hey people ! im jsut wondering at 17 would a stage one kit put the insurance through the roof???! :grin:

#2 lewis

lewis

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,322 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey

Posted 10 July 2004 - 12:41 PM

apparently if you explain what the kit is the insurers wont bump you up on insurance or if they do very slightly, im sure someone will come online that will know in detail

#3 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 06:57 PM

Okiie dokie! thanks!

#4 Pippy

Pippy

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 08:17 PM

Hi

Yeah - I agree with Lewis on this one. If you are insuring through a Mini friendly company they shouldn't hit you too hard with a Stage One kit.
To be honest i don't think my cover went up at all when I first put my kit on..I think I was 20 when I did that tho..can't remember exactly!! :tongue:

Cheers
Pippy

#5 tidytrev

tidytrev

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 12:45 AM

being new to minis iv no idea what a stage one kit is :gasp: anyone care to tell?

#6 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 06:39 AM

thanks! a stage one kit is a kit you can buy, it claims to give you 20% extra power! :grin: in the kit you ge ta new carbaretour needle,K&N air filtr,new inlet manifold and an entire exhaust systems ithink u get the exit manifold and down pipes to look in the front of a mini mag or some thing :grin:

#7 lewis

lewis

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 09:43 AM

exhaust, manifolds, airfilter and carb needle, spring. yeah i think thats it. Many people reccomend getting a minispares kit, thats what im getting. link below

stage 1 kit link

#8 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 10:55 AM

Neat! :grin:

#9 lewis

lewis

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 11:01 AM

if i can be arsed to i might fit a lower final drive as it apparently imroves accleleration and doesnt bump insurance either, not sure if im right but can you fit a 3:9:1 ratio one on a 998cc? any mini docs help me? dont know if i can be bothered to remove the engine and gearbox to do it though lol, or having the speedo recaliberated.

#10 tom

tom

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 01:33 PM

I wouldn't tell them at all. The only part of the stage one kit that will look different to the stock parts is the air filter. If, like Messr Keith Calver recomends, you keep the stock air box (+ a few holes on the underside) with a K&N element in it, then your engine bay will look completely stock. Comprende?

But my advice is not to fit one until you are a more experienced driver, Minis hoss it as they are, with an extra 15bhp, youre much more likely to wrap that sucker round a tree. Please don't! It's such a waste of a beautiful car!

#11 hammoj28

hammoj28

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Local Club: Scottish Minis

Posted 11 July 2004 - 01:37 PM

Yeah i am not going to tell my insurance company about some things that I can take off if I needed to. Just keep the standard stuff so you can replace it if needs be. You should declare most mods though.

#12 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 02:23 PM

i think i red some where in a mini mag that putting a K&N element into the stock filter plastic bit gives better performance :grin:

#13 jeffberg

jeffberg

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 03:43 PM

now while your insurance companies sound like Nazi wh*res, you are at their mercy. What happens when you crash your car and you have a stage 1 kit but u made it look stock. Will they give you your money. Now its their choice. And since the insurance companies are not in the business of giving money away, but instead they are in the business of collecting it. I would say they would use that as an excuse not to give you the money.

#14 lewis

lewis

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 04:53 PM

yeah and i was tld that if you knock someone over they can use the idea of un pronounced mods against you in court, sucks eh

#15 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 08:19 PM

yea thats y u tell them! lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users