ger

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Local Club: M4 Minis

Posted 20 February 2015 - 07:47 AM

Hi All

As I'll be doing these shortly once I've got the bulkhead done, I'm after opinions on whether to joggle in door step/jamb panels.

As in cut out the marked bits, joggle the lip that's left then attach to the A/B pillers.

jamb1.jpg

jamb2.jpg

Ger

#2 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,019 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 08:50 AM

I wouldn't

#3 spiguy

spiguy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:46 AM

I think it is often a personal preference with joggling. My own view is that almost always it is better to do a butt weld, as this avoids having an extra area of overlapping metal which can become a moisture trap and lead to rust. If access to the resulting lap joint is good, then of course you can apply seam sealer to it, and this isn't such a concern. I think some people like joggling as it gives a more robust work area to weld, and should be less likely to warp or blow holes in due to the extra thickness. I have seen it used to good effect when welding in rear quarter panel repair sections, which can be very fiddly and warp prone. In this case the joggling allowed small plug welds to be used to attach the panel, then a slim seam weld applied at the line of the external join. And of course in this case access to the overlap at the rear is good to get seam sealer on it. I personally always just felt that it adds an extra stage of work.

#4 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,944 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:33 AM

Those items would be difficult to joggle and then set in place. I would stick to butt welding but obviously making sure you get a decent penetrative weld.

#5 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,661 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:36 AM

I used to I started welding 30 years ago as I can make it easier not to blow holes when you are less experienced.
As Carlukemini has written above unless you can seam seal it I could create an extra moisture trap.
I would be butt welding it using clamps and taking your time, with a little grinding back it should be prefect.

FS

#6 ger

ger

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Local Club: M4 Minis

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:59 PM

Thanks for your coments guys, butt welding it is then  :-)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users