#1 Jamesdulieu

Jamesdulieu

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 07:05 PM

Hi all,

I recently bought a 1992 rover mini open classic (1275cc single carb). I've had a couple of issues with overheating, leaking rocker cover gasket, oil leaks from unknown places and poor performance. Because of this, I've bought and fitted a new rocker cover and gasket, head gasket, radiator, coolant pipes, gaskets for the thermostat housing, exhaust manifold and carb etc. the car has been sitting for a couple of weeks now, the last thing was that the coolant pipe with the t-joint in it (rad to engine block) exploded (still not sure how that one happened..). I finally got all the jobs done to be able to start her up again tonight, even managed to sort out the blowing exhaust, and she ran quite quickly. The one thing was that steam started jetting from the tiny hole in the top of the oil filler cap on the top of the rocker cover after a couple of minutes of running. What is this?!

Couple of things that may help -

It's really bloody cold
Had just flushed the coolant system with a hose and as a result most of the engine got wet including around the rocker cover
There was still a bit of creamy residue in the rocker from when the head gasket had gone at this point as i was more concerned about wether the car would run
Gaps on the rocker arms had been set

Any help is appreciated!

James

#2 AlexMozza

AlexMozza

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts
  • Local Club: Not Yet

Posted 10 January 2015 - 07:11 PM

It could be condensation from been sat for a while.
How far have you driven it?

#3 Stevie W

Stevie W

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Local Club: P&SMOC

Posted 10 January 2015 - 07:16 PM

As Alex has said, could be condensation.

Take it for a good run and get it up to temperature. Once you get home have another look and see if you still have the steam coming out of the oil filler cap vent.

Cheers, Steve.

#4 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 10 January 2015 - 07:18 PM

If it does it when fully warm then remove the cover and see if its breathing heavy/fuming indicating blowby between piston/bore wear

#5 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,344 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 10 January 2015 - 07:26 PM

If you haven't already done so, change the oil  & filter then take it for a good run, see if it's still happening and have a look inside the rocker cover. If it's cleared up, happy days, if not, then it may have another blown gasket.

#6 Jamesdulieu

Jamesdulieu

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 07:39 PM

That's exactly what I though it must have been, but my partner in crime suggested I look it up because obviously 'he knows best'! I have changed the oil and filter, and haven't driven it anywhere as of yet because some of the ancillaries aren't connected and I'm waiting on a new throttle cable and a k&n filter. Thanks a lot for the suggestion, I'll try and get back to you when the parts arrive and I've given her a spin.

James

#7 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,944 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 10 January 2015 - 08:15 PM

Now was the HG actually blown?? did you change it because of mayo in the rocker box and cap?? This is not always a sign of HG failure, more likely to be short journeys where the engine has not be warmed up fully.

Now that it has been changed have you done a full heat cycle and retorqued the head?? If not you need to do that. Once done if its still doing that then ots possible the new head gasket could be the cause. There have been a few very recently including myself who have changed head gaskets only for the new one to leak. This is normally cured by fitting a Payen head gasket.

#8 Jamesdulieu

Jamesdulieu

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 11:03 PM

I initially decided to replace it because the compression was a bit low and the cream started appearing so I decided it needed doing - when I split the head, the gasket had melted to each face between pistons 2 and 3 and around the coolant and oil veins in that area. I peeled the mating faces back to smooth with a razor blade by hand and fitted a new gasket from minisport? Heat cycle is what I was attempting by running the car, but killed it off when the steam didn't seem to be burning off by running it on a fast idle. What's the difference with a payen gasket? I'll re torque the head and rockers tomorrow!

#9 oscat

oscat

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 10 January 2015 - 11:08 PM

Payen is just a company name. The BK450 is the gasket you want:http://www.minispare...ts/TAM1521.aspx

#10 coopdog

coopdog

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,506 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 11:52 AM

It's a fibre gasket not copper

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users