9 replies to this topic

#1 dangermouse

dangermouse

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 03:09 PM

Hi, i've not long bought my mini its a yellow 1984 mini city and its my pride and joy but the light on the switch facia keeps comming on its the one on the far left next to the choke and i'm not sure what it means i've done my best to check out he engine and can't see anything wrong but it is quite slow to start could this be related? i've looked in my haynes manual and unfortunatly can't find a description of what this switch/warning light is for please help?!

#2 Jules

Jules

3 Gold Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 03:20 PM

Dont quote me on this but if its a red switch then think its to do with brake fluid. Pm a doctor tho, Bluemini, or someone!

#3 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 03:38 PM

im no doctor! but that is correct, the button is indicating that you are low on brake fluid.

#4 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 04:41 PM

Right, that light is indeed to show that you're low on brake fluid.. However, they are incredibly unreliable, and don't work when they should and work when they shouldn't, so check the level of brake fluid, and if it's fine, then pay no heed to the light anymore (or disconnect it if you wan't...).

Just remember to check your brakes every so often as they are the thing that keeps you from driving into things :D

#5 bluebottle

bluebottle

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 09:58 PM

that switch your all going on about has nothing directly to do with fluid level warning.
its a pressure differential warning for the dual brake system. if one of the systems fails (i.e. springs a leak), the pressure in that system will be different, and the light will come on.
when you press it on the dash, all you are doing is a bulb check.

#6 CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,587 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 08 July 2004 - 08:51 AM

If you push the switch and the light comes on the thats ok.

If the light come on without pushing the switch then its indicating there is a problem. (assuming its reliable)

#7 dangermouse

dangermouse

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 01:32 PM

Thanks guys all seems well now the lights gone out and i've checked the fluid levels anyway, she must just be being tempramental again!

#8 tipcat

tipcat

Pancake King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts
  • Local Club:

Posted 09 July 2004 - 09:38 PM

"that switch your all going on about has nothing directly to do with fluid level warning"

Depends on the year, Nick...(here I am teaching Grandma to suck eggs! Sorry, mate!) On the later model cars, the light is a fluid level warning - the cap on the master cylinder has a float inside - when the level gets to low, the light supposedly comes on...IF it's working, etc.etc.... :erm: By the by, Nick - when are you getting back to work? Still down with the flu? I leave Friday - seeking my fortunes wiring ambulances and suchlike in Papworth!

#9 bluebottle

bluebottle

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 01:21 PM

i'm back on monday, the vet still doesnt know whats wrong with me!

cant believe your leaving our happy hangars!....so your going from wiring black boxes to meat boxes!

#10 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 10:21 AM

Does your car have discs? Not clear from your post as 84 is the change point. If so then when you press the pedal, alot of the fluid leaves the reservoir. So you could still find the light coming on when you brake. If it does, put more in.
There is no real reason for this system to be un-reliable. It is just a float switch in the reservoir. When you press the switch on the dash it just tests that the bulb still functions, not the circuit. To test the circuit, just remove the cap and let the fluid drain from it. Dont let the cap get dirty. With the wires connected the bulb shold be lit. If not, check the earth point on the engine bay crossmemder reinforcement and if that is okay, replace the cap. Later cars with direct acting servos have a rubber button on top of the cap to force the float down and test the switch, but this works better if you remove the rubber and press the switch directly. Put the rubber back after though.
Problems start when the brake fluid corrodes the terminals and they fall off. This is made worse by removing the cap with the wires still atatched, or by failing to keep the cap and reservoir clean. I generally fit a twin connector in line to the cap so that I can easily disconnect the cables to remove the cap.

I don't know why so many people seem to think this is a PDWA system, as these were only fitted to Minis very briefly from the mid to late 70's, and it has been a fluid warning since.

You do need this system to pass an MOT technically, even though it is never inspected, and you do need a bulb test function. You don't think Rover fitted it for a jolly do you? They're so tight the only fitted a sidelight warning to Italian cars, 'because they're the only ones that required it. And thats just one extra bulb, not even any wires or switches.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users