Photo

Does Anyone Know Anything About Asbestos?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 Nick Warwick

Nick Warwick

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts
  • Local Club: Sheffield mini club

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:16 AM

If the place you are working hasn't been checked for asbestos just play it safe a take care with them.

#17 Tubby1987

Tubby1987

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:34 PM

I've used these hundreds of times and don't look like asbestos, I've not come across any suspended ceiling tiles that are. You never know I suppose but I wouldn't think they are.

#18 Shep76S

Shep76S

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • Local Club: L&SMOC

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:27 PM

I've used these hundreds of times and don't look like asbestos, I've not come across any suspended ceiling tiles that are. You never know I suppose but I wouldn't think they are.

http://www.hse.gov.u...entials/aib.htm

#19 Tubby1987

Tubby1987

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:24 AM

Shep76s they did use them as ceiling tiles, I learnt this at leeds college of building. The ceiling tiles that contain asbestos were the type that were bonded to an already existing ceiling, not necessarily a suspended ceiling. A suspended ceiling is a fake ceiling, hung below an existing ceiling. Not many suspended ceilings are asbestos tiles and I've never come across any, after fitting and replacing hundreds. If I suspected asbestos, it'd be from the tiles you have to chisel off! I've been a carpenter/joiner for 11 years since I was 16, and only come across one incident of asbestos tiles in that 11 years. Those were not from a suspended ceiling.
I'm not ruling it out that they're not asbestos but I bet 99.9% they're not asbestos.

#20 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:03 AM

If it's older than 1999 the ONLY (ONLY) way to know is to get it tested.  It's simple, cheap, and your employer should have done it already.  If you are worried, send a sample.  It's all done by post and is cheap (£15.00 per sample).  Look the testing companies up online, follow their instructions about taking and sending samples closely.

#21 Tubby1987

Tubby1987

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:16 PM

That's right Dan, if he's employed by a company and they're in doubt they should get them tested before the job starts. If he's self employed, it would be down to the customer to have them tested before the job is undertaken, as a simple replacement or removal of the ceiling could cost a hell of a lot more than first anticipated! Or he could charge separately for a test and then quote for the job :) 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users