74 replies to this topic

#61 MrBounce

MrBounce

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,581 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:57 PM

A friend & I set to build mine years ago when my speedo in my 85 Mayfair broke. We designed it on paper first, brainstormed for several evenings over several beers (try it - it's amazing what you can come up with!), then started collecting parts. I will need to dig out a pic (don't have one to hand at the moment as I sold the car 8 1/2 years ago), but amongst the parts used were:

A top rail sliced up.

Lots of MDF & Vinyl

Coin tray from a Montego

Manual swtich for cooling fan

"Push Once" button from a bus (used as the starter button)

Speaker for the CB constructed from a broken oil pressure gauge and a clock radio.

Remote control for the Sony Radio.

Centre speedo repositioned in front of the driver

4x 52mm dials surrounding the main speedo

52mm Tim tacho in pod on the top of the dash

CB Radio

Cubby hole from a Transit

Pin switch for glovebox light from a Volvo 440

Glovebox light from a Vauxhall Astra

Some plug chain

A Mini badge.

Looked like this (excuse the dirty marks in the start button...):

Dasboard_zps8f12f420.jpg

#62 Pro Bodyworx

Pro Bodyworx

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:19 PM

Yeah just smoothed the edges and glued the neoprene with contact adhesive. I would say it was about 2mm thick, same thickness of a wet suit?
Good luck with your dash. It's always worth having a go at making your own then you can have it how you like. I placed the eyeball vents under the dash in some fibreboard and they work better than before in my opinion.

#63 Kellym

Kellym

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:08 PM

Ok so I'm having one of these made for me especially cheap :) what I now need to know is what to do with the vents?? Are they just for show or do I connect them to somewhere?? Any advice is always welcome :) xx

Attached Files

#64 rally515

rally515

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:50 PM

Ok so I'm having one of these made for me especially cheap :) what I now need to know is what to do with the vents?? Are they just for show or do I connect them to somewhere?? Any advice is always welcome :) xx

You could get a Y connector and plumb it into the heater easly but i cant imagine youd get a great deal of air from either exit point haha

#65 Kellym

Kellym

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:08 PM

Maybe some mini speakers are the way forward then lol x

#66 rally515

rally515

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:32 PM

Ooo good idea, probably shift more ambient air around aswell haha

Can you get sub's that are that small anyone ? it'd be good to say if someone asked about the console.,........ reply with.......... "In my mini i have a.... CENTRAL BASS BOX!!" Boom :X

Although.... need myself a radio first........and a wiring loom.......and a restored mini....and everything apart from more welding needed :mmkay:

#67 minirage

minirage

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:47 PM

yeah you can get space saving subs that are like 200mm Dia, dunno how good they are?, would be quite kool to have centre bass box, my exhaust provides my bass but gotta keep changing gear to match the beat

#68 rally515

rally515

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:57 PM

yeah you can get space saving subs that are like 200mm Dia, dunno how good they are?, would be quite kool to have centre bass box, my exhaust provides my bass but gotta keep changing gear to match the beat

Haha i can imagine that, people wondering why its coughing and spluttering going down the road :lol:

#69 'Chop'

'Chop'

They don't call me chopper for nothing!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Local Club: 3 Custardeers Mini Club

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:04 PM

OK.....

So I haven't made the centre clocks, but I have cut out the dash rail and bolted in a crossmember/ column support with a full length shelf....

The Heineken chrome bar top pump thingy I've rewired with two bulbs....left and right indicator warning lights :gimme:

Tacho sits in an old stainless 'bowl' which was a bedside lamp base....

Any additional bracing was my old rotary clothes line O_O

Sometimes less is more ;D

Attached File  Picture 067.jpg   52.33K   40 downloads

#70 MINI MAD RKH

MINI MAD RKH

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Local Club: DCMOC

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:28 AM

Wow, do you sit in the rear seat in 'Chop'?? :D

conc. this bassbin idea; doesn't a sub need to be in a box to work properly?? use the parcel shelf for that, the bootspace makes an excellent bin :D

how's about putting your head unit in the console or maybe a CD rack if you use CDs?

#71 minirage

minirage

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:16 PM

Haha i can imagine that, people wondering why its coughing and spluttering going down the road :lol:

that's just it on tick over

#72 rally515

rally515

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:08 PM

that's just it on tick over

Haha yeah i was thinking something along those lines when id said that but thought better of putting the A-series down :shy:  :shifty:

#73 joakwin

joakwin

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:32 PM

DSCN6156_zps485fc8e2.jpg
Here is mine home made dash, it's made out of 3/8's mdf, it will be covered in black vinyl
And will hold my digital cluster and stereo in the center and I made a inner glove box and glove box door but I havnt found any hinges for it yet,

The dash covers the dash rail, I'm not sure if I'm gonna keep the sides of the dash open or make some fiberglass filler panels, but I plan on making some fiberglass/ mdf speaker pods and mount them on the inner wing area under the has and problably mount some tweeter in the top corner of the dash

I have some cdt audio hd642 3 way speakers for the front sounds, and a mb quart amp to power them

I'm thinking about building a center console sub box for a single 8 or two, not sure yet if that will happen, maybe later down the road when I want some bass

Edited by joakwin, 07 August 2013 - 05:40 PM.

#74 mrbridger

mrbridger

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Local Club: no

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:24 PM

Here's my creation. Black vinyl over aluminium.

DSC_1335-1_zpsd165a2b5.jpg

DSC_1334-1_zpsc9f3c6ec.jpg

I haven't fitted this yet as I'm waiting on a 80mm Smiths Tacho. The plan is to have all the gauges operational (except the Oil Check)

#75 ryeupholstery

ryeupholstery

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:02 PM

Yes I make them :) £20 each

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users