#1 alexbert

alexbert

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:22 AM

HI, this is Alex from Turin - Italy.

Actually I'm not a Mini owner, I have a Spitfire 1500, but I've an issue with a HS4 SU and it seems that in this forum there is much knowledge available...

I'm right now working on my twin HS4 SU and as I opened the two float bowls I found a strange situation:
- the rear one is OK with the distance between float and lid, with lid upside down, about 4 mm (which is in the specifications);
- the front one has a washer under the needle valve seat, which actually gives a bigger distance between float and lid: about 6-7 mm.
I can't figure out the reason of this! actually the level of gas is different inside the two bowls, but on the other hand the motor is running without problems...
Before changing this situation removing the washer I'd like to have an opinion form someone with more experience than me.
Another question: is that true that, after dismantlig the cover and the needle assembly, looking down at the top of the jet I should see gas in the jet hole? which means that the level in the float bowl is correct? (communicating vessels principle)

Last point is about float bowl lids: looking around I've found something interesting. Apparently there are two cover types for the HS4, see in the attachment.

My carb are FZX1258F & FZX1258R (at least this is written in the small screwed tags...).
According to this I should have NOT the lid with overflow connection, BUT I HAVE!.

The question is: how and where should I connect those overflow opening on the two lids?

Thanks to everybody for any little help.
A warm CIAO from Italy

Alex

Attached Files

#2 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:37 PM

They've been adjusted because of flooding issues or because one of the bowls is sitting at an angle.

With 6mm clearance i'd expect the fuel level in the jet will be quite low, thats what i would check.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users