30 replies to this topic

#16 olds_kool_lews

olds_kool_lews

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:06 PM

I find that '85/'86 minis on C and D reg tend to fair well rust wise, i had an '85 auto a few years ago that cost me £80, the shell on it was near mint! Shame i cut it up lol

#17 wardyxxx

wardyxxx

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • Local Club: Leicester Mini Club

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:07 PM

Lets be honest, out of these three which looks the least desirable:

Green-Mini-Cooper-S.jpg

image-6-for-sm-motors-03-09-11-gallery-5

2300531.jpg

Basically the 80's were an era where the Minis were a bit boring, they replaced chrome and vinyl with grey plastics and velour and generally didn't put much effort into making the Mini stylish. Of course there's nothing to stop you taking advantage of the lower prices and customising it to make it look nicer :P

But they're all pretty in their own little way! :)

I do like seeing a completey original 80's mini. They're certainly different!

#18 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,783 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:20 PM

Rust wise my 25 was as horrendous as my current MPI.

yep but, the mpi would have been half the age of the 25...

#19 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • Name: Elvis
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:23 PM

The same thing could of been said about pickups and vans not that many years ago

Just you wait the 80's minis will have their day, and the people with them now should be chuffed they bought theirs at the low point!!!

:proud:

#20 some1158

some1158

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:20 PM

Just you wait the 80's minis will have their day, and the people with them now should be chuffed they bought theirs at the low point!!!

:proud:

I hope so as mine's a totally unaltered 1989 Racing, complete with the white plastic wheeltrims! Not that I want to sell it.  I wanted an 80s Mini in original spec, partly for nostalgic reasons because I remember as a kid seeing the flow of LEs from 87-88 on into the 90s. Living in Birmingham there was always something on the latest LE in the free paper and I would write off to Austin Rover for the brochures, which I still have.

#21 Tanya

Tanya

Snuggle-Buddy

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini Owners Club

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:31 PM

Late eighties/early nineties Minis are my favourite.  I guess partly as I passed my driving test in 1989 and all I could afford at the time was a 1979 Mini City that constantly broke down and I had to park down hill so I could push start it in the morning.  I remember looking through the brochures at that time fantasizing about which Mini I would buy.  Then there were the limited editions :D  I don't care how much you guys laugh at them - I loved them then and I love them now (providing they're standard of course!).  I know they're only bits of trim etc, but I don't care.  However, apparently I have terrible taste in most things, which is quite handy for me as generally it means that what I want to buy is cheaper.  While I understand why people like early Minis, I don't like them particularly, it's late eighties/early nineties all the way for me :D

#22 Mk1Dave

Mk1Dave

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:09 PM

I would really really like a bog standard early 80's city.

#23 Tommyboy12

Tommyboy12

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:47 PM

I think the unfortunate truth with late 80s/early 90s Minis is that they are the car of choice to modify because of the price advantage already mentioned. Original ones are going to be pretty rare soon. I cant remember the last time I saw an original late 80s Mayfair/City.

#24 JimminyBob

JimminyBob

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:02 PM

Pretty easy to put back to standard in most cases though providing they haven't been deseamed or roof chopped etc.

#25 Chris99

Chris99

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Local Club: Should find one really.

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:58 PM

Rust wise my 25 was as horrendous as my current MPI.

yep but, the mpi would have been half the age of the 25...

The 25 was 14 years old when I got rid of it and needed virtually every panel replaced despite the previous owner having resprayed it. The water dripping on my right foot was the last straw! Couldn't have afforded to fix it and it was back in the happy days when a reasonably sound replacement cost me £500 with a years MOT. Going to spend rather more than that on getting the MPI back in shape....

Late eighties/early nineties Minis are my favourite.  I guess partly as I passed my driving test in 1989 and all I could afford at the time was a 1979 Mini City that constantly broke down and I had to park down hill so I could push start it in the morning.  I remember looking through the brochures at that time fantasizing about which Mini I would buy.  Then there were the limited editions :D  I don't care how much you guys laugh at them - I loved them then and I love them now (providing they're standard of course!).  I know they're only bits of trim etc, but I don't care.  However, apparently I have terrible taste in most things, which is quite handy for me as generally it means that what I want to buy is cheaper.  While I understand why people like early Minis, I don't like them particularly, it's late eighties/early nineties all the way for me :D

Totally with you, always looked in envy at the blue 35 when it was new.  Quite fancy a Sidewalk as a temporary car while mine is being restored but can't really justify another mini for a few months as they're so expensive now!

#26 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:49 AM

I think because its a decade out for being tax exempt, but may be wrong

You're right.

Otherwise is just because most of them had nudge bars fitted! LOL

MK5s (89-92) are some of the best minis rolled out the production lines though. The majority of them are cheap, solid and reliable.

#27 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:51 AM

Lets be honest, out of these three which looks the least desirable:

Green-Mini-Cooper-S.jpg

image-6-for-sm-motors-03-09-11-gallery-5

2300531.jpg

Basically the 80's were an era where the Minis were a bit boring, they replaced chrome and vinyl with grey plastics and velour and generally didn't put much effort into making the Mini stylish. Of course there's nothing to stop you taking advantage of the lower prices and customising it to make it look nicer :P

In all honesty...the sportspack..  :X

#28 JimminyBob

JimminyBob

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:53 AM

I'm not a massive fan of them myself, I don't like big arches, in fact I think no arches at all looks best (and some 10" wheels). They do have nice interiors for the most part though.

#29 v8rumbler

v8rumbler

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:19 AM

When a mini was made is , to an extent, irrelevant. Whatever your budget is:- buy the best car you can in terms of bodywork and mechanicals.

they are after all the same underneath.

#30 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:19 AM

I'm not a massive fan of them myself, I don't like big arches, in fact I think no arches at all looks best (and some 10" wheels). They do have nice interiors for the most part though.

100% agreed

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users