Photo
- - - - -

How to wire oil temp gauge from MPI to SPI mini ?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 axlzwaekz

axlzwaekz

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 09:26 PM

I bought 3 aux gauges of MPI mini (volt, clock, oil temp) from ebay and would like to fit them to my 1995 SPI mini (sprite). Today, I just completed wiring volt and clock, but have no idea to wire oil temp gauge. The wire colour of oil temp gauge that I don't know how to wire is brown/blue. I can't find this wire colour of my mini dash instrument. I'd like to know which wire (colour) should be connected to oil temp gauge?

I have searched this forum before and know that it sould be connected from oil temperature sender unit. Dose the SPI mini have it? Where? or I must fit sender unit before? :proud:

many thanks

axlzwaekz

#2 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 22 April 2006 - 11:55 PM

The MPI block is totaly different in many ways, it has a sensor in the block above the oil pressure relief valve for the oil temp gauge. The SPi does not. You may be able to use a Water temp sender (if its the same range sensor?????) and fit it (drill and tap) where the oil pick up os on the back of the gearbox (where the extra Minispares magnetic pic up would fit). You will then have to sort the wiring out yourself.

to be honest, just leave it out

#3 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 23 April 2006 - 07:57 AM

i bought the same dash and clocks for my mini

i gave up on the oil temp and fitted a oil pressuer gauge a lot more usefull :proud:

#4 axlzwaekz

axlzwaekz

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 01:24 AM

Thank you both

For Mini Sprocket, Can I buy this sender from minispares here

http://www.minispare....aspx?pid=32602

to fit at my engine ( at oil pressure release valve and spring) ?

For bungle, so interesting, but I'm afraid that the oil pressure gauge will not match with others (volt and clock from genuine rover). Dose rover have oil pressure gauge (white face and orange needle)? If yes, where I can buy online ? because I'm oversea mini lover.

axlzwaekz

#5 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 11:43 AM

a white faced smiths gauge is very close that is what i fitted to mine

#6 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 03:05 PM

Thank you both

For Mini Sprocket, Can I buy this sender from minispares here

http://www.minispare....aspx?pid=32602

to fit at my engine ( at oil pressure release valve and spring) ?

For bungle, so interesting, but I'm afraid that the oil pressure gauge will not match with others (volt and clock from genuine rover). Dose rover have oil pressure gauge (white face and orange needle)? If yes, where I can buy online ? because I'm oversea mini lover.

axlzwaekz

That is the sensor but unfortunetly you will not be able to fit this into the block other than an MPi block which has an extra location for it. Do not remove the oil pressure relief valve assembly to fit it as you will not get any oil pressure. Like I said you may be able to fashion something else , Thinking about it it may fit the sump plug, but be warned, if trying it, the brass and aluminium are both soft metals and if the threads are different ( i think they may well be) it may damage the sump plug thread beyond repair.
I'll post up a picture later of the MPi block so you can see.

Like bungle said, just fit an oil pressure gauge instead.

Although Id be intersted in this gauge as I have an MPi block for the 16valve engine im building and will come in very handy keeping an eye on the oil temp, what with it being an oil cooled turbo charger.

#7 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 04:51 PM

might have my old oil temp gauge kicking around sprocket you could have :proud:

#8 axlzwaekz

axlzwaekz

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 05:20 PM

That is the sensor but unfortunetly you will not be able to fit this into the block other than an MPi block which has an extra location for it. Do not remove the oil pressure relief valve assembly to fit it as you will not get any oil pressure. Like I said you may be able to fashion something else , Thinking about it it may fit the sump plug, but be warned, if trying it, the brass and aluminium are both soft metals and if the threads are different ( i think they may well be) it may damage the sump plug thread beyond repair.
I'll post up a picture later of the MPi block so you can see.

Like bungle said, just fit an oil pressure gauge instead.

Although Id be intersted in this gauge as I have an MPi block for the 16valve engine im building and will come in very handy keeping an eye on the oil temp, what with it being an oil cooled turbo charger.

Thank you for information. :proud: Ok, I'll try to find out a temp sender range and 40-200 degree C (If it has), and then will try to fit it at the oil pick up os on the back of the gearbox as you suggested me. I saw few temp senders on ebay like this. I think It may be used. I'll let you know after it work.

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...1QQcmdZViewItem

If you are looking for this gauge, please find out here :xxx: :xxx: :xxx:

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...1QQcmdZViewItem

#9 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 09:25 PM

I believe (although this is all hearsay so check that it all fits properly) that the MPi oil temp sender can be used in place of the pressure relief valve cap with the valve assembly in place underneath it as usual. I think the spring fits over the sender tip but it may need to be shortened if the cap is thicker than the normal one or the oil pressure will be much higher than standard.

Whether this gauge will actually function is another matter. The sender is essentially not there to control the gauge, it is there to supply information to the ECU. It may be that the sender supplies a signal to the ECU which the gauge cannot interpret without the ECU fitted, the signal to the gauge may come from the ECU itself rather than from the sender and may as a result be completely different from the sender output. I haven't actually seen a wiring diagram for a twinpoint so I can't say for sure but be aware that this may be the case.

Edited by Dan, 24 April 2006 - 09:27 PM.

#10 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 10:53 PM

I haven't actually seen a wiring diagram for a twinpoint so I can't say for sure but be aware that this may be the case.

I have, and the oil temp sensor is stupidly only for the guage, there is no input on the ECU for oil temp. What a waste, maybe it was a thought when the block was re designed but it never got added to the ECU re design, so now there is a big hole in the block for a sensor that only feeds the gauge. Duh.

Oh and i doubt very much that the sensor used in place of therelief valve cap will work as its too long not only that but its not in the direct flow of return oil being behind the plunger or ballfor it to be any use there. It is actualy in the flow of the main gallery oil supply on the MPi block.

#11 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 11:45 PM

Well this is what I thought but Mini Spares are advising that it can be used this way.

Are you sure there's no input into the ECU for oil temp? I've read a lot of articles about the various warmup and cold start programs as well as the fan control circuit that talk about the oil temp. And I'm sort of sure the sender is fitted to cars that don't have additional gauges. Like I said though I haven't seen diagrams or anything so you may well be right, after all you know a lot more about injection than I do!

#12 axlzwaekz

axlzwaekz

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 08:02 AM

Again please, I've an another idea to use it during looking for the sender. Dose an oil temp gauge can be used to indicate the temp from engine? from coolant temp gauge (blue / centre mark / red) at the binnacle. Is it in the same range and can I wire an electrical signal from that to make it work?

#13 richsully

richsully

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 06:52 PM

Did this problem ever get resolved?
I have just bought a set of clocks (3+3) from an MPI, and want to fit to my SPI

#14 gwladys97s

gwladys97s

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:53 PM

Along time i know but has anyone been able to fit the mpi oil temp gauge into a spi ?

#15 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:01 AM

You could fit a aftermarket sump plug which is adapted to take a oil temp sensor as here http://www.minisport...o_C_MAD004.html

Edited by KernowCooper, 24 March 2013 - 12:01 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users