13 replies to this topic

#1 vkalo

vkalo

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:58 PM

I recently got my hands on an A series that came off a Moke that seems's to be a 1275. I'm really not the engine guru as far a A series versions go but will it fit my mini? There seems to be a strange gear linkage and diff?? just as the pics bellow that I found on the net.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Is this rare or something? Was this ever fitted on earlier minis?

Many thanks

#2 03jkirk

03jkirk

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:04 PM

the type of gearbox in the picture is a remote change gearbox and was fitted to some early minis and mainly early coopers, it was also fitted to MG1300s (altho the extention piece has slightly differant mounting. this may or may not fit you mini you would have to look at what type of transmission tunnel is on the floor of your car. also if you want more information about this gearbox you will have to list the casting numbers off the front of the gearbox to tell more about it.

#3 The Principal

The Principal

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:05 PM

not particulary rare but less of them around, its an early remote gearbox with a sandwich plate. Out of interest are you sure its a 1275? from the grainy pic it appears to have tappet chest covers (could be my eyes) on the rear in which case its probably a 998

#4 A-Cell

A-Cell

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:08 PM

The gear change remote is from an ADO16 1100.
Judging by the tappet chest covers this is mst likely a 1098 engine and not a 1275. Is there an engine number?
Fitting it in a Mini is possible, but the floor will need modifying to fit the gearchange.

#5 03jkirk

03jkirk

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:09 PM

i dont think the pictures are of his actual engine as he says "just as the pics bellow that I found on the net."

#6 A-Cell

A-Cell

• Members
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:12 PM

This type of remote was never fitted to Mini. The Mini had a different cast remote bolted rigidly to the gearbox. The rubber sandwich mount type was only on 1100/1300.
Also it was never fitted to a Moke.
If this is the original box that goes with the engine then it won't be a 998. Stil reckon its a 1098

#7 The Principal

The Principal

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:13 PM

This type of remote was never fitted to Mini. The Mini had a different cast remote bolted rigidly to the gearbox. The rubber sandwich mount type was only on 1100/1300.
Also it was never fitted to a Moke.
If this is the original box that goes with the engine then it won't be a 998. Stil reckon its a 1098

makes sense

#8 vkalo

vkalo

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:17 PM

The pic I found off the web as I'm not home until the weekend. Mine hasn't got any chest covers.

Any reasons one would like to have this on his mini? Seems to be just trouble and no gain??

Reckon its not even the mokes original setup?

Thanks a lot!

#9 The Principal

The Principal

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:22 PM

I run a 1275 with remote box, takes only minimal modifications to fit to a later car works fine and keeps the car 'of the period'. Personal choice or lack of other options i guess would help decide whether to fit or not

The sandwich plate remotes are known for being a little vague on the selector and the gearstick rattles but this can be addressed

Edited by The Principal, 18 March 2013 - 09:24 PM.

#10 03jkirk

03jkirk

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:22 PM

this type of gear change is aparently alot nicer to use and the people sayin this is incorrect is only due to the small part on the end of the diff housing and yours may well be the correct type, it is only a small differance on the picture so you may well have missed it

#11 A-Cell

A-Cell

• Members
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:24 PM

If no chest covers then it would be a 1275. With that type of remote then from an ADO16 1300 model.
Bit of hassle to fit to the Mini tunnel, used be done quite a lot as a replacement for 848 engine with pudding stirrer aka magic wand gear change.
Rubber mountings will be very old by now, and probably perished and or damaged by oil. Not sure how easy they are to get hold of. Gearbox may also be 3 synchro, ie no synchro on first.

#12 vkalo

vkalo

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:26 PM

Learning a lot!

Thanks!

#13 The Principal

The Principal

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:35 PM

if your going to fit a remote box in a later car you will need to change the diff output shafts as the engine in the pic will have the QH donut cv's and the later cars have pot joints

#14 62S

62S

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts
  • Local Club: You must be joking!

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:37 PM

That is incorrect. That set up i.e. remote with sandwich plate, was fitted to some Spanish built Mini's.

The pictures above show a mismatched set-up. The engine pictures shows what is probably a four synchro gearbox with magic wand but Cooper S Hardy Spicer type diff.

We really need to see pictures of what you have actually got to be able to advise you properly.

Edited by 62S, 18 March 2013 - 10:38 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users