19 replies to this topic

#16 Buddy

Buddy

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:26 PM

The 12's were already put on when i bought the car, im guessing it doesnt matter if i get 7.5 or 8.4?

#17 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

The 12's were already put on when i bought the car, im guessing it doesnt matter if i get 7.5 or 8.4?

As the discs are slightly bigger, then technically 8.4"s should give you better braking, although it's unlikely that you would ever actually notice the difference between the two. Used 8.4 set ups also tend to be cheaper and more widely available, due to the amount of them that have been salvaged from scrapped cars over the years. However 7.5's will mean that you can then fit either 10" or 12" wheels, which is something you might want to consider for the future. Many of us prefer the look of mini's on 10's especially if the car would have been on them originally. So even though you have 12" wheels at the moment, it might be worth going for 7.5" brakes just to have the option of fitting 10's in the future. It would inevitably help with future resale too, if you were to have brakes that allow for the fitment of 10's as well as 12's.

Edited by AVV IT, 24 February 2013 - 04:01 PM.

#18 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,823 posts
  • Local Club: Loan wolf

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

Am i right in thinking the hubs are the same for 8.4 and 7.5? If so the calipers, discs and pads could be swaped over as and when required.

#19 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,122 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:48 PM

Am i right in thinking the hubs are the same for 8.4 and 7.5? If so the calipers, discs and pads could be swaped over as and when required.

Yes that's correct, although you'd need to change the drive flanges too. You can even buy a 8.4"-7.5" conversion kit, consisting of just the discs, flanges, calipers and pads for around £200 http://www.minispare...|Back to search, there's actually a discounted group buy for that kit here on TMF at the moment.

Edited by AVV IT, 24 February 2013 - 06:51 PM.

#20 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,122 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

oops double post!! >_<

Edited by AVV IT, 24 February 2013 - 06:51 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brakes

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users