8 replies to this topic

#1 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,114 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:41 PM

Stripped my engine down today and the flywheel end of the crank is a bit horrible, will I get away with having this reground or is it only suitable to be added to the pile of stuff to be weighed in?

Posted Image

Thanks
Carlos

#2 Surfbluegarage

Surfbluegarage

AKA mini_mad_daps

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • Local Club: Notts About Minis

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:54 PM

seen worse and ran worse. i suggest getting yourself a new flywheel bell (if its verto) and using some valve lapping paste on the end of the crank using the bell to lap them together.. if most of the surface area comes into contact with the flywheel nose/ bell id say it would run again just at a quick glance at that picture.

if after youve lapped it together that there are still loads of bits and not much surface contact between them then bin it.used ones with big gouged out rings before after lapping and ran completly fine in my engines im just being realistic. too many people (including me) have thrown cranks in the bin before because of a little surface rust or a couple of marks on the end of the crank.
yes if its for a race engine then toleraces change but for a normal road engine is say ud get away with it.

p.s most of the damage on that crank in the picture is not on the surface are where the flywheel sits anyway so try lapping.

#3 racingbob

racingbob

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,061 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:40 PM

i can remember having a crank metal sprayed once

#4 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,342 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:29 PM

Use emery cloth and linnish the end, and then lap paste the fly wheel on and off ..... used worse............. :proud:

#5 Ivor Badger

Ivor Badger

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:53 PM

i can remember having a crank metal sprayed once

i can remember someone doing that to a racing crank, failed miserably when the flywheel fell off. the 2nd attempt resulted in the taper bit falling off with the flywheel. i'll see if I can do a photo. For reasons that will become obvious, I have never thrown it out.

#6 bmcecosse

bmcecosse

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,699 posts
  • Local Club: http://www.srps.org.uk/

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:30 PM

As others have suggested - I think that one could be saved - but you would need to put a bit of work into it. And make sure the bolt is TIGHT when you rebuild the engine.

#7 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:21 AM

You can try to save this as mentioned above. However, I suggest a bit of a different approach than others.

Degrease and spray paint the crank tail. Allow the paint to dry. Then carefully, gently go over the crank tail with a fine flat file just enough to find the high points. Use a paint pen or permanent marker to outline the high points then carefully attack each one gently with a smaller flat file. Remove the high spots and leave the base diameter of the crank alone as much as possible. When the high spots are gone, gently sand the tail to remove the remaining paint. Do not use the sandpaper to do more than remove the paint. With the paint gone, lap the crank tail to your NEW flywheel. Lap as little as possible/necessary to get a matte finish on the crank tail. Remember to carefully clean the crank tail and flywheel bore when you are done. NO abrasive material should be left on either.

Whenever you are working on the crank tail it is important to remove as little material as possible. For every 0.001" taken off the diameter the flywheel will move "UP" 0.007" on the taper. This may not sound important but it is easy to move the flywheel too close to the flywheel housing.

#8 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,114 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:23 PM

Thanks for the advice guys, I may see if I can get a better one, the project is a long way from engine rebuild stage so we'll see what else comes up in the mean time!

I won't bin it though!

#9 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 03:37 AM

Don't bin it, recycle it! The scrappy might even give you some cash for it.

But I agree, it probably can be saved, if the bearing surfaces are good, not forgetting the faces the thrust washers run against. I had to scrap a crank once because the thrust faces were ruined, because someone fitted the washers backwards, with the steel backing against the crank, but it was not a Mini.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users