3581 replies to this topic

#1861 Minuki

Minuki

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:23 PM

Oh, no I agree that running static is a lot more difficult and more trial and error based. But do you know how hard an air install is? It's not easy. At all.

I don't think it's "Cooler", that's a little ignorant. But It definitely gets more props in my book. In my opinion, it doesn't really matter if it's on air or static, if it sits nice and looks good, then that's it. I don't see the need to disrespect someones car simply because they're on air.

The post from someone else above pretty much clears up your question. Bags are definitely the easy way out, there's no challenge in it after the installation, regardless of how hard it is to fit. Most people with that sort of attitude to 'lowering' a car do it solely for the looks and because they want to be in on it, instead of getting into the lifestyle of running a low car.
I haven't disrespeacted anyone's car for being on air in my comments, but air isn't running a low car really is it? It's being a scene queen 90% of the time

Yeah, bags are more convienient for every day life, but that's down to the owners preference, I guess...maybe they have kids or just don't want to deal with smashing the chassis rails everyday? I still don't think it's the easy way out though. Bagged cars are still lower than most cars on the road and then they just park lower.

I'd love to bag my E36, but I simply don't have the money. So I'll be using coilovers.

Edited by Minuki, 17 March 2013 - 11:23 PM.

#1862 ajtom94

ajtom94

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Local Club: DCMOC

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:29 PM

for best static lows buy some cheap ebay coilys drop on its arse and leave it

#1863 adam_93rio

adam_93rio

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,271 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:30 PM

Oh, no I agree that running static is a lot more difficult and more trial and error based. But do you know how hard an air install is? It's not easy. At all.

I don't think it's "Cooler", that's a little ignorant. But It definitely gets more props in my book. In my opinion, it doesn't really matter if it's on air or static, if it sits nice and looks good, then that's it. I don't see the need to disrespect someones car simply because they're on air.

The post from someone else above pretty much clears up your question. Bags are definitely the easy way out, there's no challenge in it after the installation, regardless of how hard it is to fit. Most people with that sort of attitude to 'lowering' a car do it solely for the looks and because they want to be in on it, instead of getting into the lifestyle of running a low car.
I haven't disrespeacted anyone's car for being on air in my comments, but air isn't running a low car really is it? It's being a scene queen 90% of the time

Yeah, bags are more convienient for every day life, but that's down to the owners preference, I guess...maybe they have kids or just don't want to deal with smashing the chassis rails everyday? I still don't think it's the easy way out though. Bagged cars are still lower than most cars on the road and then they just park lower.

I'd love to bag my E36, but I simply don't have the money. So I'll be using coilovers.

Thing is, if someone showed up to a show and then dropped their coil overs (or hi los) down. They'd get a lot of negative comments about how he's trying to look cool and that it isn't driven like that. Why should it be different for bags? It's just trying to pretend its something that it's not.

I've been running low for at least a year, 90% of people say it isn't drivable having a car that low. And it's been like that and getting lower for ages, it's used every day, scrapes speed bumps, clips cats eyes, burns grass if you drive over it. I have done about 10,000 miles over the past year and never once have I thought "I wish I had a car I could use"
I just think people need to man up :P

#1864 iMurray

iMurray

Mild Cheddar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:51 AM

ha yes adam rio respect! that's the way of life people talk about... i wish i could ahve slammed my arosa but i couldnt justify the moneys :) the fabia isn't a vrs no its just the 1.2... theres plenty of nice cars in the club thoguh :) I think i'll set up a regular car stance thread so we don clog the mini one up thogugh :) in terms of stance for my mini at the moment i've gone for the "in the weeds" look.... and by that i mean i had no option but look like that :P

Posted Image here is kibbles about june of last year... excus the dodgy paint:P

#1865 eden7842

eden7842

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:25 AM

Bags are for people who care

However, I dont ;-)

Posted Image

#1866 ajtom94

ajtom94

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:38 AM

homana homana homana....... im in heaven... GIVE ME

#1867 meetthespeakers

meetthespeakers

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Local Club: MAM, CMR

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:30 PM

Oh the static vs bagged. I will give the static guys props for living low, however setup a proper air ride, not some bolt on crap, I'm talking about tubbing it, 4 link, fabricating mounts with gussets, relocating shocks, etc. More to it than just chucking on some airbags, or bolt on air struts. Try doing a custom one off air setup on the Mini for instance vs coilovers/hi'los. Little more to it I think. My plan when I go air was to turret the rear to make room for an air strut and also tub it. Front would consist of fabricated top mounts and brackets for the top arms. I would agree on other cars, like impala's, etc where its a matter of pulling the stock coils, tossing in a bag, and airing up.... But most of the cars I've built there is nothing on the market, you have to fabricate everything. Just sayin... That's from my point of view having both.

Posted Image
Simple 2 link with panhard bar, bag over axle on the Astro

Posted Image
BAG OVER AXLE, 6 inch notch in frame, bridge, floor cut out and raised.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Then moving onto the Morris, cut out all stock suspension, cut back to get to frame to fabricate top mounts and gussets

Posted Image
Fabricate 2" narrowed control arms, bottom control arms fabricated with integrated bag mount.

#1868 Driezzie

Driezzie

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:44 PM

For more stance inspiration : http://lateststancenews.tumblr.com

Let's stay focused on classic mini's here.

Edited by Driezzie, 18 March 2013 - 02:44 PM.

#1869 adam_93rio

adam_93rio

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,271 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:45 AM

Honestly I wasn't disrespecting bagged cars. Or hydros either. I know exactly how much work they need as I've helped a friend fit hydraulics to his Lincoln town car and his coupe deville, they weren't just bolt on parts but now that they're fitted he never has to bother with much now they're on.
Running a static slammed car is much harder work, just a half hour drive is so much more tiring than in a standard car purely because you have to constantly look for the pot holes and manhole covers. Always correcting bump steer etc. then theres the replacement of parts that have worn down scraping, the amount of times I've replaced my exhaust clamps is unbelievable, I might as well have a standing order on them. I already order 10 at a time.
I probably will build my own car on bags at some point, but it will be on something that it suits, I think that Morris minor build is awesome. As are your other cars

#1870 adam_93rio

adam_93rio

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,271 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:57 AM

Just wanted to show this too a friend of mines panel van. Not on bags and probably as much work gone into it, he uses one of his two busses daily
(jacked up to take the pictures)
Notches in the chassis
Posted Image
And more, these are for the dropped and narrowed front beam
Posted Image

It has a 6 and half inch narrowed beam, is very low and on big wheels with cross ply tyres, the front arches are tubbed too
Posted Image

It is for sale if anyone is interested,
Posted Image

#1871 ajtom94

ajtom94

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:20 AM

well i may be buying a mk3 golf on saturday due to the mini going for resto - i shall be slamming it off its arse hoefully

#1872 iMurray

iMurray

Mild Cheddar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:28 PM

mk3? oh no... not a fan unless they are done superbly well... mk2's or 4's for those my boy

#1873 joeyfinneran

joeyfinneran

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • Local Club: imoc

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:26 PM

Mk6 look class with gti kit and dropped ;)

How about this for mini stance :L
(Most of it is mini)

Posted Image

Posted Image

#1874 Driezzie

Driezzie

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:27 PM

Hahahahahaha

#1875 scotty_1987

scotty_1987

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Local Club: MiniBallers

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:51 PM

adam's mini is very cool :wub: :highfive: !! my mini wants to be his mini...i know because he told me...how could you not like it!! p.s robbed a few of your pics for inspiration Adam hope you don't mind lol!!
Nathan

Posted Image

Edited by scotty_1987, 19 March 2013 - 11:55 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users