3581 replies to this topic

#1771 adam_93rio

adam_93rio

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,271 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

So this "stance" stuff is 1x mini + 1x arches (wide-ish) + wide "cool" looking rims that fill the arches well & genraly give the ilusion that its lower to the ground= ?

I'm guessing you're with me on this, the illusion of being low to the ground always gets on my nerves a bit too, anybody could fit their arches lower down or make their own out of fibreglass. Then fit a plastic chin spoiler and say its low. When the true ground clearance would be the body's clearance. If you're gonna have a low car, at least have the balls and ingenuity to do it properly, agreed?

#1772 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:42 PM

I dont think ingenuity and being stupidly low go together.

stupidly low cars really serve no purpose, if you fit an air ride kit and dump it when you park for looks thats fair enough as you can use the car but being static does mean you have to crawl around avoid speedhumps and potholes and generally look like a wang when you are driving around, plus without a complete re design of the suspension system you cant really dump a mini on the floor

#1773 rally515

rally515

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:43 PM

So this "stance" stuff is 1x mini + 1x arches (wide-ish) + wide "cool" looking rims that fill the arches well & genraly give the ilusion that its lower to the ground= ?

I'm guessing you're with me on this, the illusion of being low to the ground always gets on my nerves a bit too, anybody could fit their arches lower down or make their own out of fibreglass. Then fit a plastic chin spoiler and say its low. When the true ground clearance would be the body's clearance. If you're gonna have a low car, at least have the balls and ingenuity to do it properly, agreed?

Ha ha fair doo's on that one adam, yeah theres a very clear line between miglia & wheel spaced road minis
EDIT: some people cant seem to see this line though :lol:

Edited by rally515, 11 March 2013 - 08:44 PM.

#1774 adam_93rio

adam_93rio

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,271 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:53 PM

I dont think ingenuity and being stupidly low go together.

stupidly low cars really serve no purpose, if you fit an air ride kit and dump it when you park for looks thats fair enough as you can use the car but being static does mean you have to crawl around avoid speedhumps and potholes and generally look like a wang when you are driving around, plus without a complete re design of the suspension system you cant really dump a mini on the floor

Then I'm sorry to inform you that you just don't quite get it. My mini catches and scrapes getting off my drive, on a little 'gate stop' that sticks up about an inch and half. I still use my car every single day, I have speed bumps and cushions on a few of my frequently used routes and this doesn't stop me using my car. I don't have to avoid certain spots very often and if I do then it's not a hassle to go round the block.
If you want to retain the original handling characteristics of a car And rally about everywhere then that's up to you, but the handling is perfectly fine on my car if you don't mind a bit of tyre scrub.
And air ride, really? Cars on air ride terribly as well, that's for low riders and scene kids. If I saw a car in a car park thats slammed I would appreciate it and a lot of people would love just seeing it. If some kid with a snap back gets in it, raises it up a bit and then drives off it'd be disappointing. Certain cars such as the lowriders and some hot roads would keep their respect as that's what that car scene is about. While everyone else gets 'oh, nevermind, it isn't actually low'

#1775 rally515

rally515

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:15 PM

So we can all agree can we not that there are three categories:

1) low apperence as in "stanced" but not atall low ?
2) pysicaly lower meaning its "scene" based ?
3) hybrids of the ^above^ types combined......stenced maybe ? :lol:

Any others ?

#1776 ajtom94

ajtom94

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Local Club: DCMOC

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:23 PM

you can 'dump' a mini, camber brakets have been brought in, tubbing the rear arches and getting the rear hilos made to have extra threading woudl make you lower it more

i'd say mines sat comforatbly low but i still have an 1" 1/2 to drop on back Posted Image

#1777 adam_93rio

adam_93rio

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,271 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:24 PM

Any others ?

It all depends in the individual car I'd say. A lot of modern cars might suit big bolt on arches and skirts. But thats that particular scene.
I don't think there's really any written rules, but I'm really struggling to see how anybody could possibly think a standard mini wheel like this
Posted Image

Fits the wheel arch better than this
Posted Image

#1778 rally515

rally515

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:28 PM

Any others ?

but I'm really struggling to see how anybody could possibly think a standard mini wheel like this

Fits the wheel arch better than this

Hmmmm no i agree on this, think that last photo shows the limit on styling in a single category until it all spills out on becomes a mash up.

#1779 rally515

rally515

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:31 PM

you can 'dump' a mini, camber brakets have been brought in, tubbing the rear arches and getting the rear hilos made to have extra threading woudl make you lower it more

i'd say mines sat comforatbly low but i still have an 1" 1/2 to drop on back

Ahhh yes "dumping" thank you sir, dumping shall be added :lol:

4) "dump" refers to a more standard ride hight yet with actual wheel adjustments of camber to achieve "dumping" :P

#1780 ajtom94

ajtom94

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Local Club: DCMOC

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:38 PM

im just refering to alex_b's comment "without a complete re design of the suspension system you cant really dump a mini on the floor"

#1781 adam_93rio

adam_93rio

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,271 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:48 PM

I don't think it all needs categorising really.
Generally, when you say a car is dumped, it's just another way of saying its very low.
Comes from saying its dumped in the weeds

#1782 rally515

rally515

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:48 PM

Very trye of alex, hes a noble spoken man "All hail alex_b" :lol:

#1783 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:50 PM

im just refering to alex_b's comment "without a complete re design of the suspension system you cant really dump a mini on the floor"

I would say modifying the hilows to run lower plus tubbing arches and all the other mods requires constitute a re design...

and to get it so its as low as some dubs would require more than just modifying hilows, coilovers would probably required and moving the subframe higher up into the shell

and I appreciate lowered cars, mines lowered and it does look better but I dont understand why you would deliberately make your car a pain to drive on standard roads? it doesnt make you look cool when you are scraping over pebbles, you cant drive as fast as say a standard height car etc, but I am a function over form type of chap, probably why I am doing a motorsport engineering degree and not a style based course

#1784 adam_93rio

adam_93rio

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,271 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:07 PM

and I appreciate lowered cars, mines lowered and it does look better but I dont understand why you would deliberately make your car a pain to drive on standard roads? it doesnt make you look cool when you are scraping over pebbles, you cant drive as fast as say a standard height car etc, but I am a function over form type of chap, probably why I am doing a motorsport engineering degree and not a style based course

Your opinion of how useful a car is has no bearing in weather or not it has a good stance.

If you're form over function then why are you on a 'stance' thread telling people what it and what isn't?

And what stops you driving fast is the speed limits, the small roads on housing estates aren't built to a race tracks super smooth surface, or maintained to one simply because you aren't supposed to drive 'fast' down there.
It not very often my car stops me from doing the speed limit, what do you mean by 'you can't drive fast'? What's stopping you?

#1785 jonny f

jonny f

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts
  • Local Club: Boxhill Mini Club

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:10 PM

No the paint is more of a personal opinion on stance. It's just not got the look for stance.

Even if you put the right wheels on your still going to have arches on the back and not on the front. It just doesn't really work for a mini in the stance category.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users