#1 Donalds

Donalds

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:17 PM

~~~~~Please delete this text before posting the topic~~~~~~
Please give your topic a title that quickly describes your problem. Just putting 'Help my Mini doesn't work' is useless to anyone trying to help.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Model:Austin Mini 1000
Year:1988
Description of problem (please be as in depth as possible):I have just bought a 1988 austin mini 1000 with a 1275 conversion ,it is running low compression pistons and has had the bulk head adapted to fit the turbo and were given the standard metro turbo kit but I think theres some parts missing can anyone tell me exactly what I need (parts ,pipes etc) here is a picture of what I recieved

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts
  • Local Club: Turbominis.co.uk

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:23 PM

lots of stuff missing and one major problem is thats not a metro T3, looks more like a T2 to me, which means it wont fit that manifold without work and that elbow is also useless.

basic missing stuff...
turbo
carb
fuel pump
fuel pressure reg
turbo distributor

#3 Donalds

Donalds

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:29 PM

Ok mate thanks do you think I would be aswell buying another turbo kit for it ? and the turbo is a t2

lots of stuff missing and one major problem is thats not a metro T3, looks more like a T2 to me, which means it wont fit that manifold without work and that elbow is also useless.

basic missing stuff...
turbo
carb
fuel pump
fuel pressure reg
turbo distributor

#4 MRA

MRA

Previously known as 'mra-minis.co.uk'.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,607 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:13 AM

What is wrong with the elbow ? looks like a Metro turbo elbow..

THe regulator will need to cope with rising rate, ie as the boost increases it then increases th efuel pressure accordingly, if you use a N/A regulator as the boost increases the fuel pressure stays as it eas set and leans the engine off :thumbsup:

#5 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:27 AM

THe regulator will need to cope with rising rate, ie as the boost increases it then increases th efuel pressure accordingly, if you use a N/A regulator as the boost increases the fuel pressure stays as it eas set and leans the engine off :thumbsup:

Not true. But a common misunderstanding.

The FPR is there to ensure that the float bowl still gets filled when under boost conditions. The float bowl is actually pressurised by an internal hole in the carb from the plenum to the float bowl. The restrictor in the plenum ensures that the pressure across the jet is lower than in the float bowl.

If you don't use a boost sensing FPR then what will happen is that if you keep your foot down for long enough on boost your float bowl will empty and your engine will stop, still not ideal, but not as bad as the engine stopps rather than runs lean. You don't actually need the fuel pump running at all for the carb to fuel properly on turbo applications.

As above lits of bits missing, including:

Oil feed
Oil Return

#6 MRA

MRA

Previously known as 'mra-minis.co.uk'.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,607 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:57 AM

Granted :thumbsup:

#7 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:32 PM

What is wrong with the elbow ? looks like a Metro turbo elbow..

it is, which means it wont fit that T2 in the picture...

#8 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:37 PM

Ok mate thanks do you think I would be aswell buying another turbo kit for it ? and the turbo is a t2

depends what you want out of the car, and your own abilities to be honest chap.
no idea of you're mechanical knowledge so dont take it the wrong way please :thumbsup:

fitting that T2 would make a nicer engine imo (depending on the AR's of it) but it will require you to make it fit the manifold and make your own turbo elbow, aswell as an oil feed and return amongst other things.
There's pics in my build thread i think if you want a look at the type of work involved in fitting a T2 on a metro manifold.

the other thing to do would be to get hold of a metro T3 and the other associated parts listed that you're missing and go from there for an easier life.

hope this helps, Nick :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users