• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 08 April 2004 - 08:59 PM

hey guys
ive finally got my new engine in and running, and its great
my only issue is this
after a few hours running, it developed a strange squealing noise just above tickover speed, then the alternator stoped charging, so i of course thought it was buggered after checking all teh connections.
so i changed the alternator, for another 1 that didnt work at all, so i changed it again, and the 3rd one worked fine
so off i set, nice and happy again, until i noticed that teh squealing is still there.
ive noticed that the water pump pulley seems to wander slightly from side to side while running, are the bearings in my pump dead? is it safe to drive? or should i change it asap, ive got a new pump somewhere, i guess i should fit it :S
i never know how tight do do the fan belt either, does too tight kill bearings? i tend to go on that it shud have around 1/4'' movement when u push it with ur finger, but that of course depends on how hard u push :S
any help would be great, as ive jsut got it back after two months, and dont want to kill it again
cheers
nick

#2 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 09:07 PM

It would be wise and easier to simply replace the whole water pump, they tend to get buggered up after a while.

As for belt tension, don't make it too tight, and check if the alternator is charging as it should, if it is, then you don't need to go any tighter!

#3 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 09 April 2004 - 08:49 PM

sounds like the pumps had it to me, the squealing would be either the bearings complaining, or the water pump siezing and the belt slipping over the pulley, causing the alternator to stop charging too.

I tend to go by the rule that if you can get the belt in your fingers and turn it by about 90degress to one side with reasonable pressure then its about right!! :grin:

tom

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users