11 replies to this topic

#1 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 05:07 PM

My exhaust and inlet manifolds wont line up because the exhaust one has little flanges on it which stick out past the thickness of the inlet manifold.

I'm going to cut the bits off the exhaust manifold with an angle grinder, but what disc should I use, grinding and do it at a 15 degree angle or use a cutting disc and just kind of slice it off?

The thickness to be trimmed varies from about 1 to 2 mm

also

On my GT, the left wheel sticks out from the arch more than the right one (on the front).

It also looks like it has positive camber on the left (explaining the above problem...)

What I want to know is how it can have different cambers from left to right, since its completely stock unadjustable suspension.

The tie-rods arent exactly straight, could that have something to do with it?

#2 Sunshine

Sunshine

Friend of TMF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 06:26 PM

as your cutting a good chunk of your manifold, i would use a cutting disc, if need be you can always use the grinding disc to clean up the manifold.

The tie-rods arent exactly straight, could that have something to do with it?

are the both bent the same amount or is one bent more than the other?

#3 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 07:31 PM

They're bent, i haven't actually compared them, very well may be that one is bent more than the other.

But don't they affect castor? I have positive camber even when the wheels are facing straight!

Welcome to the forum by the way!

#4 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 06 April 2004 - 08:10 PM

Hammer your tie bars back into shape, they are quite soft, so it wont be hard. If you come accross a straighter set in the future then swap em over.

#5 siggy

siggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 09:03 PM

Don't grind any metal off the exhaust manifold. It will only weaken it and cause it to crack.
What you need are stepped washers. simply measure the difference between both manifolds. fin a washer the same thickness (or 2 it needs be) cut them in half and then weld the washer of the correct thickness to another complete washer washer

Tie rods can effect camber, if they are bent they will move the wheel forward and at the same time pull the lower arm in. Check the suspension height front and rear. If its leaning it can give the illusion of steering angles being out. Get it optically aligned. Or use a plumb line, which will givew you a rough idea whats happening.

Siggy

#6 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 06 April 2004 - 09:59 PM

my tie rods were battered and bent so i got someheavy duty ajustable ones

#7 siggy

siggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 10:03 PM

Pavel is in Cyprus, so its not quite as easy as just popping down to Minispare/parts/sports/ect

Siggy

#8 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 06 April 2004 - 10:06 PM

ah thats a bugger good luck mate

#9 bluebottle

bluebottle

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 10:50 PM

i had exactly the same problem with my manifolds, i've got a maniflow lcb, with a mg metro inlet ( its the only one that would fit under my bonnet!)...the inlet was thicker, so out came the file and i just trimmed the thickness down till it matched.
given the choice i'd do the inlet manifold, as its under a lot less stress than the exhaust.

#10 siggy

siggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 09:09 AM

Its much better and eaiser ands quicker to make or even buy stepped washers.

Siggy

#11 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 04:11 PM

there seems to be some confusion here pavel can you get the manifold to sit on the head with the inlet manifold on, or is it the nuts you can't get on??
anychance of a pic?

#12 siggy

siggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 05:14 PM

What happens is the inlet and exhaust manifold flanges are different thcknesses, The exhaust is thinner. Its not unusual.

When you try to fit them the washers do not sit flat.

Siggy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users