28 replies to this topic

#1 markaboot

markaboot

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 11:29 PM

Does anybody have an old or spare gas bottle around 15kg size.

I'd like to build a temp wood burner to warm the new house whilst i work in there. I dont want to buy a new one and then make a mess of it whilst im working. when im finished i'll move the gas bottle to the garage and buy the new burner for the front room.

Or does anyone know where i could pick one up from. I've searched ebay but there's nothing local.
I've got a feeling the local tip wont let me have one, they dont like anyone taking anything out once its in.
Which is annoying because they have loads in a cage but i'll ask next time im up that way anyway.

And im going to ring the local gas supplier tomorrow but again im guessing the answer will be no. I no how annoying it is when you get people coming round asking for scrap metal.
But surely they must get the odd scrapper in?

Thoughts and comments welcome.
Mark

#2 jameswhiles

jameswhiles

Speeding Along Now

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Local Club: A5 Minis

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:21 AM

Use an old washing machine!! thats what I did anyway!. Just unbolt the drum from inside the body, turn it upside down and then bolt it back on. Something like this...
fire basket

#3 minimender

minimender

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.M.

Posted 12 January 2010 - 12:45 PM

Pikeys usually leave a few amongst the rubbish when thy move on, lay bys are a good place to look as well.

#4 markaboot

markaboot

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 12:55 PM

Pikeys usually leave a few amongst the rubbish when thy move on, lay bys are a good place to look as well.

lol yea i did go have a look at the last place they were but the local council is quite good at cleaning up stuff like that.
i didnt think of laybys, good suggestion.

#5 markaboot

markaboot

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:00 PM

Use an old washing machine!! thats what I did anyway!. Just unbolt the drum from inside the body, turn it upside down and then bolt it back on. Something like this...
fire basket

nice idea. unfortunatly i need to use this inside :geek:
i can see my house filling quite nicely with that. dont fancy turning out to my own house, that would get a bit embarassing down the station lol

Posted Image

this is more what i had in mind, i've already got a flue in the fire place, i just need a burner to connect up to it.

#6 pantera2075

pantera2075

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Local Club: GTMOC

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:27 PM

Local scrap metal merchants? It'd only cost you the weight of steel - couple of quid at most.

And that picture looks like a 19kg Propane - a big one.

#7 minimender

minimender

• Members
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:30 PM

Nice one that, I've made quite a few with various sized bottles and that will work but will work even better with a longer stack pipe, if using it outside you will need to sleeve the stack pipe to keep it hot for best results.
Lots of info on the internet and a good cheap log burner. I've got one in the garage.. :geek:

#8 pantera2075

pantera2075

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Local Club: GTMOC

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:40 PM

For design inspiration:

http://www.hotpod.co.uk/

This guy was on one of those "Pay off your Mortgage in 2 years" type programs - ages ago.

#9 zebidee

zebidee

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 07:36 PM

There wouldn't be any point in ringing anywhere selling gas. Calor simply clean up and refill the bottles, meaning people selling always have to take back old bottles since they are technically always Calor's property, you simply own the gas inside! I used to work at a caravan place, and Calor keep quite good tabs on their bottles.

#10 minimender

minimender

• Members
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:50 PM

Here's one I made recently for my mate to carry with him in his land rover for camping. It had to be light weight and hot. It is both.
Made it from one of those pink gas bottles that they use to fill air con systems on cars, I thought it might be a little thin walled for the job but it proved to be brilliant. Needs a regulator in the pipe though as he has to half cover the top of the pipe with a slate or something to slow down the burn once it has got going.

Cant upload the pictures , sorry.

It has a door in the front and a circular regulator which can be closed when it gets going, the bottle is upside down and standing on the valve gaurd with a piece of two and a half inch exhaust pipe welded in the top centre. The pipe is about 3 feet long (nearly a metre)

#11 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:59 PM

photobucket.com :D

#12 minimender

minimender

• Members
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:15 PM

SUCCESS.....
what do ya think ? Designed to be held down with metal tent pegs.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by minimender, 12 January 2010 - 10:16 PM.

#13 yeti21586

yeti21586

He's A Lumberjack And He's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Local Club: None

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:28 PM

i like it
might have to get one made to take camping

#14 minimender

minimender

• Members
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:31 PM

i like it
might have to get one made to take camping

Needs a slightly longer pipe really and a butterfly regulator in the pipe because it uses a lot of wood as it is.
If you can shut it down by regulating the chimney then it will burn hotter and longer, it is hot now though and suprisingly light in weight.

It is also safer for camping than an open fire, uses less fuel, and with a bit of inginuaty (brains) you could make provision for cooking bacon on tinfoil and baked potatoes in foil in the fire.
luverly..

Edited by minimender, 12 January 2010 - 10:33 PM.

#15 yeti21586

yeti21586

He's A Lumberjack And He's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Local Club: None

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:39 PM

how about making an oven outta one of these bad boys

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item3a56ae44f9

so you have the burner bit a the bottom and then a lil way up you have a bit were you put food that is sealed from the rest of it with a lil gap up the back for the smoke and obviously a chimney

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users