#16 bamby

bamby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts
  • Local Club: Fylde Mini Club

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:32 PM

if your looking at wood burners then look at either tiger or efiel as they can be used to heat your water etc or you could go the aga or raeburn route for heating... but best with a combi and a log burner (thats what we have ) set the burner going and you can hear the hall, lounge and dining room in my house :)

Love the wall gone make it look huge !

#17 markaboot

markaboot

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:45 PM

not much progress over the last few weeks with it being christmas and cold and the mrs bein off work so i wasnt getting bored during the day watching dave.
yesterday i dropped the rest of that wall, lol on my own with 2 props to take out. not easy but i managed it by dropping one at a time whilst holding the lintel up over my head with one arm. then lifted if out over my head haha :)

then after that i pulled the last of the ceiling down and did a bit of wiring. i removed all the down stairs sockets and the wiring all the way up to the fuse box. think i might take out the rest of the downstairs wiring out today and maybe rig up a single socket next to the fuse box so i can still get power round the house on extension leads. then take the rest of the wirng out lights included :w00t:

oh yea and i have a new front door and new back door. both with new door casings that i have to put together yet. i'll get some pictures today.

Edited by markaboot, 07 January 2010 - 12:49 PM.

#18 markaboot

markaboot

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:20 PM

another up date, with pictures this time. forgot to get the new doors tho ;)

this last week with it being slightly warmer i bought 3 bags of sand and a bag of cement and built this. thats not a days work, a couple of hours everyday 5 mixes of muck.

Posted Image

i wont win any awards for my brick work but its neat enough and will do the job. i've only ever patched the odd hole so quite pleased with my first efforts, although there is still plenty of room for improvement :genius:

also built a wood burner this morning out of an old gas bottle john gave me. Bit more info
burnt the paint off this afternoon before finishing the last few courses of brick up to the joist.

Posted Image

just need to weld the chimney on and its good to go. i'll add a door and a flu control later if it needs it. something simple and quick will do for now, need to get rid of a load of wood taking up space in the kitchen. i didnt fancy annoying the new neighbors more than i have to so i figured id send it up the chimney and heat the house for free at the same time.

Edited by markaboot, 14 January 2010 - 08:29 PM.

#19 Bean

Bean

Queen of 'shoppin, Voted Miss TMF 2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,054 posts
  • Name: Jean

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:08 PM

Nice wood burner! I know of a guy that has one of those, too! ;D

Nice job on the wall - Looks tidy! :)

#20 markaboot

markaboot

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:17 PM

Nice wood burner! I know of a guy that has one of those, too! :)

Nice job on the wall - Looks tidy! :)

thank you. that was the easy bit. i have a door way to brick up tomorrow. ;D

#21 Udo

Udo

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 08:11 PM

Whats the front door like? After a period replacement for mine

Quick work by the way, had mine 6 years and not got anywhere near the amount of work done

#22 markaboot

markaboot

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:08 PM

Whats the front door like? After a period replacement for mine

Quick work by the way, had mine 6 years and not got anywhere near the amount of work done

still not got round to taking those pictures :)
these are the closest i could find, think they are the same ones. just they seem way more expensive, but then all the doors i've looked at have been.

Posted Image Posted Image
front & rear

i wanted somethin a bit more solid than the pvc doors, i've seen a few of these get knocked through way too easy. they are solid hardwood doors, the labels say elizabethan and alicante, made by woodside or at least sold by them. im sure i only paid about 80 each for mine, everything online seems way more expensive. :thumbsup:

If your after a period replacement try ebay, i just had a quick look and theres loads on fairly cheap. there might be somethin suitable to refurb, nice lick of paint will make anything look new.

Edited by markaboot, 15 January 2010 - 09:27 PM.

#23 Udo

Udo

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 02:35 PM

Yeah sorry was thinking more whats the condition of your old one? lol

I also agree that dont like Upvc one for the looks and two I know they arent very strong. prefer a solid wood door talking here about 45mm or thicker

I cant find any local salvage ones here as the salvage place got shut down due to evading the tax man with his cash only deals!

I've looked on ebay but they always seem very expsensive for something that needs work doing to it

#24 Bean

Bean

• Members
  • 8,054 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 10:19 PM

I also agree that dont like Upvc one for the looks and two I know they arent very strong. prefer a solid wood door talking here about 45mm or thicker

I cant find any local salvage ones here as the salvage place got shut down due to evading the tax man with his cash only deals!

I've looked on ebay but they always seem very expsensive for something that needs work doing to it

Same here - Been looking for a decent door - Just can't find one that isn't ludicrously expensive! There are a few salvage places locally, but they're SO expensive!

:thumbsup:

#25 markaboot

markaboot

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:55 PM

sorry, i miss understood. the old one needs chuckin. its been kicked in at the bottom and is showing signs of rot.
if you buy a new door you still need to prime and paint or varnish it. so a quick sand or even a bit of nitromors isnt that much extra work.

im glad i got mine cheap, a doors a door, as long as it does its job i dont really mind what its going to look like. i think the ones i have look good and will look even better when i paint them. either gloss white or gloss black, not decided yet.

#26 markaboot

markaboot

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:07 AM

Same here - Been looking for a decent door - Just can't find one that isn't ludicrously expensive! There are a few salvage places locally, but they're SO expensive!

O_O

stax trade center !!

thats where i get all my stuff from. not sure if you have one local tho, i go to the manchester branch.
just looked for you, Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham and Bristol. i think your about an hour away, im 45 mins but its worth the drive for the prices. (im not a stalker i jus remember because my aunty has a house up in the malvern hills :D )
you might need to make up a fake buisness, if thats possible? because its trade only and you need an account. or do it through work or something like that.

but they do everything at trade price and by everything i mean everything. anything you could possibly ever want. i've seen the same shower tray i bought for 40 quid in B&Q for 80!! i love that place :techsupport:

Edited by markaboot, 20 January 2010 - 12:08 AM.

#27 Udo

Udo

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:59 PM

sorry, i miss understood. the old one needs chuckin. its been kicked in at the bottom and is showing signs of rot.
if you buy a new door you still need to prime and paint or varnish it. so a quick sand or even a bit of nitromors isnt that much extra work.

im glad i got mine cheap, a doors a door, as long as it does its job i dont really mind what its going to look like. i think the ones i have look good and will look even better when i paint them. either gloss white or gloss black, not decided yet.

Oh well thanks anyway, I dont want a new door as it wouldnt suit the age of the house as the repro aint the same and are generally thinner wood without paying loads

#28 Bean

Bean

• Members
  • 8,054 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 01:34 PM

Any updates? :)

#29 Down&Out

Down&Out

The King Of Retro Cool