#1 markaboot

markaboot

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 12:03 AM

Firstly, Hello Everyone!! I have returned, that may be good or bad. :D

Back in January i lost my job, the main reason i spent so much time on here previously. Work was boring!!
However with the lack of money coming in sadly my mini projects were put on hold. But now i have a new project!!

Some of you may remember (probably wont), last year i mentioned looking at houses to buy and was saving my deposit. Well i found one :P
Perfect location for my other job, the rubbish payed but wouldnt give up for the world job. The joys of being a retained firefighter for lancashire fire and rescue haha.
I am literaly a 150m sprint to the station, no more speeding fines!! Yay.

I found it a while back and had been watching it for ages. It had been on the market for over a year and had droped about 20,000 from the original asking price. Me being a tight arse put in a nice low offer which was refused of course. The estate agents hinted at a more reasonable offer and i upped my bid, refused again but stuck another 2500 on and the price was agreed. Now came the biggest pain, sorting the mortgage. With a low paid job and without the full 25% deposit i thought i was stuffed, in come the generous parents. So now 3 names on the mortgage and i owe them big time. Then after sorting that the mortgage company started messing us around. Cutting a long story short, 7 months later after agreeing a price i got the mortgage sorted.

I finally got the keys towards the end of october and here are a few pictures of what i had ahead of me.

* More to come sorry a bit boring at the mo, the mrs and friends have returned from the pub. *

Edited by markaboot, 20 December 2009 - 12:21 PM.

#2 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 19 December 2009 - 08:23 AM

"My First House, Bit of DIY (picture heavy)"

Posted Image

#3 markaboot

markaboot

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 12:11 PM

"My First House, Bit of DIY (picture heavy)"

Posted Image

there coming, there coming!!

i got told off last night for being on here, apparently i was being rude and antisocial. haha

#4 markaboot

markaboot

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 12:32 PM

pictures as prommised.

Posted Image
the front garden, the estate agents car and my nsr!!

Posted Image
front door and stairs

Posted Image
through into the kitchen

Posted Image
from the kitchen back towards the front of the house

Posted Image
dining room off the kitchen

Posted Image
dining room double doors out into the garden, sorry for wonky picture.

Posted Image
the garden :D plenty of room for a double garage!!

Posted Image
the front room

Posted Image
another view of front room, takin pictures of rooms is hard.

so thats downstairs. im trying not to over load with pictures, i have one view of every wall but thats a bit over kill, i hope you can get the gist of whats there.
now for upstairs.

Posted Image
top of the stairs, the tiny bathroom!! but a shower is all i need.

Posted Image
next to that is bedroom 1, back of the house.

Posted Image
bedroom 1 a good size

Posted Image
bedroom 2, front of house

Posted Image
bedroom 2, smaller but still a double.

Posted Image
bedroom 3 is tiny! front again, over the stairs.

Posted Image
bedroom 3, will most likely be a study / lizard room. my collection is growing and plan to start breeding next year.

Posted Image
a good sized loft

Posted Image
potentially a good master bedroom.

sorry i did warn picture heavy. so as you can see, lots of work to do. i'll post current progress as soon as i finish uploading.

Edited by markaboot, 19 December 2009 - 12:36 PM.

#5 adam_93rio

adam_93rio

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,271 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 12:43 PM

looks like a good project, first things first tho, get a garage built to keep the mini in!

im only 19 but was looking at getting a house next year, im being really stubborn tho and wont have one unless its got a garage
either that or the minis are coming inside
found one thats got a garage and a carport but garage joins to an old ladys bungalow so doubt shed enjoi the grinder

is there access to the back then?

#6 markaboot

markaboot

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 01:06 PM

looks like a good project, first things first tho, get a garage built to keep the mini in!

im only 19 but was looking at getting a house next year, im being really stubborn tho and wont have one unless its got a garage
either that or the minis are coming inside
found one thats got a garage and a carport but garage joins to an old ladys bungalow so doubt shed enjoi the grinder

is there access to the back then?

yea sorry forgot that picture.

Posted Image

its tight but i'll fit minis down easy and i'll put the other car on the drive at the front. the camera perspective is making it look smaller than it is. i'll measure it sometime and find out just how tight.

dont be too fussy. i plan on building a garage with a workshop on the side. every house i looked at with a garage already was rubbish, either too small to work in or crazy angles you'd never get a low mini up. id much rather build my own to my own spec, engine hoists built in etc. so maybe its worth finding a plot with a bit of space, building regs have changed so its alot easier to build without applying for permission. have a look on the planning portal if you consider it.

#7 markaboot

markaboot

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 02:31 PM

ok so here is the progress so far, last pictures taken yesterday 18th dec.

Posted Image
started work straight away. peeled back some paper and the plaster came with it :D was kinda of expecting it anyway so started stripping plaster off the walls in the dining room

Posted Image
this wall was hanging, yes hanging!! a good inch and a half off the floor and was really unstable. i already planned to take it out on the first visit. with further inspection it wasnt load bearing and needed to come down anyway. so bonus, no steel beem needed and i could take the whole lot out.

Posted Image
the wall is out!! and made a huge difference. all the plaster is off the walls. time to make a start on the bathroom.

Posted Image
after stripping the bathroom i found fairly new plaster. no need to replaster it, yay. i plan to tile floor to ceiling so no need to worry about the uneven surface.
already have my bathroom suite at bargin price from stax trade center. just wating for the new window going in and a decision on tiles and i can start decorating that room.

Posted Image
moving on, the hall way is stripped

Posted Image
up the stairs and the landing. notice the lancashire fire and rescue smoke alarm, fitted by my crew manager! for the old fella that used to live here.

Posted Image
front bedroom is gutted, found a fireplace bricked up, sorry chair in the way.

Posted Image
the box room is gutted and turned into a store

Posted Image
look some windows arrived on friday!!

Posted Image
the upstairs windows stored in the master bedroom, also some kitchen units that appeared from no where. wernt there when we viewed the house but turned up when we got the keys. thanks previous owner!! on the plus side, i've saved a few and a sink for my garage.

Posted Image
more stuff for the garage and a boiler in a stupid place. going to move it next year into a little extension on the back of the kitchen.

and last but not least
Posted Image
the front room stripped, that old back boiler came out to reveal a nice big fireplace. just what i was after because i want to fit a wood burner in there.

now to more problems with interior walls. the foundations are solid and anything load bearing is supported properly. unfortunatly everything else has sunk, including the floors. hence walls being left hanging and wobbling. i knew the floors had dropped and planned to re-level them but missed the wobbley walls.

Posted Image
the offending wall, actually dropped itself once the plaster was removed. check out the huge gap from the exterior wall on the right.

Posted Image
i only ment to remove part of the wall, leaving a triangle down to the floor supporting the lintel. but as i removed bricks the whole lot started moving so it wasnt supporting anything and i decided it was safer to remove the lot.

Posted Image
so now my front room looks like this. i am going to build a butress a couple of bricks out from the left towards the front of the house to help support that load bearing wall, replacing the wall i just took out. it was supported both sides and now its not, the plan was to move the door into the front room a foot or so to the right and then build a studding wall the rest of the way. but im starting to like it out and it would share my heat from the wood burner much more efficiently, free winter fuel!! so what are peoples thoughts do i put the wall back and reinstate the hallway. bearing in mind there is a porch on the front too so its not like your walking off the street straight into my front room.

Edited by markaboot, 20 December 2009 - 10:31 PM.

#8 Al*

Al*

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts
  • Local Club: ERC / SMOA

Posted 20 December 2009 - 07:46 PM

this is awesome! looks like so much fun! i can't wait to get my own place in the next couple years and renovate it... looks like you got your work cut out for you... best of luck.

personally i say leave the wall down and the door where it is.. especially seeing as you have a boot room off the front of the house...

Al

#9 obiwan riley

obiwan riley

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 09:39 AM

nice going

#10 Bean

Bean

Queen of 'shoppin, Voted Miss TMF 2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,054 posts
  • Name: Jean

Posted 22 December 2009 - 05:05 PM

Blimey! Talk about getting stuck in to a project!

Good to have you back & congrats on the house!! :lol:

#11 markaboot

markaboot

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:34 AM

Blimey! Talk about getting stuck in to a project!

Good to have you back & congrats on the house!! :D

thank you!
hope everything goes smoothly with yours.

#12 minijo

minijo

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Local Club: Humberside Mini Club

Posted 23 December 2009 - 03:16 PM

wow! you don't hang around! I think you should leave the wall out, have a larger living room!

#13 markaboot

markaboot

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 03:44 PM

wow! you don't hang around! I think you should leave the wall out, have a larger living room!

i've been a bit lazy the last couple of days, havent even been there. all i've done since the last pictures is pull the ceiling down in the front room. got called out early by work sunday night, about 3.30 ish and it always messes my sleep pattern up. still not caught up yet.

i thought at first it would make the room larger but in truth i dont actually gain any extra space because i still need a path through to the kitchen. though the room will appear larger if i leave it out. i was all for leaving it out, less work, less money, less time, the hallway was very dark, no windows, so the stairs are brighter. its the parents who put doubt in my head, they dismissed the idea straight away. without even considering it, but thats usually the case lol, i preety much have to fight them on everything.

they said, people want a hall way seperate to the rest of the house and that people like their living room seperate. they also said it will be much harder to keep downstairs warm because all the heat will go upstairs. my argument is i want the heat from the wood burner to spread through the house but they might have a point.

i dont know!! but i welcome peoples opinions.

#14 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 04:58 PM

With my very limited experience of wood burners the heat 'range' is very limited. I doubt you'll heat the whole house with one, you only really notice the heat when you're right on top of it.

I think you just need to do what you think best. It's your house after all. Also don't worry about how the next owners will feel about your alterations, that's their problem :)

#15 B-shaw

B-shaw

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Local Club: www.clubpolo.co.uk

Posted 23 December 2009 - 05:04 PM

Who are you doing the house for? Yourself or other people?
That pretty much wins the argument against your parents to be honest

Looks awesome though dude. I'd love to be able to buy my own place and pretty much start from scratch. Not going to happen for a looong time though (unless i win the lottery :) )

Good luck with it anyways, Id say keep it as it is, with no wall.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users