Photo
- - - - -

Tell Me All About The Cooper S Pedal Box?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mwalsh

mwalsh

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:28 PM

On another forum, I was indicating how I was somewhat dissatisfied with the clutch pedal in one of my cars - how the pedal sits lower than the brake pedal; how it's a bit stiff; and doesn't really disengage or engage the clutch until the pedal is really close to the floor, even after all new hydraulics and clutch related hardware.

Another user on that forum suggested that what I might have is a Cooper S pedal box, and that the behavior seen would be considered normal. Since I have never heard of such an animal before, I was wonder if someone here would care to educate me?

#2 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,107 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:36 PM

So far as the IPC is concerned, all brake pedal assemblies were the same from the Mk. 1 cars through to 1976. I have never used a different pedal assembly on a Cooper 'S' from an 850 or 998 and have never had problems.
A pre-76 pedal box on a post-76 car is another matter.

#3 mwalsh

mwalsh

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:41 PM

A pre-76 pedal box on a post-76 car is another matter.

So veering off from my original question a bit.....if I wanted to temporarily eliminate the current pedal box from my '76, to see if putting another one in would solve the problem, I couldn't use the one from my '82?

#4 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,107 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:52 PM

I don't know what the cut-off point is during 1976 when the pedal box ass'y was changed.
The part number for the clutch pedal for pre-'76 cars is 2A5866 and for post-'76 cars it's NAM3116.
I don't have a post '76 one I can look at without stripping one out of my Grandson's 1997 MPI, so I can't say how it's different, but it obviously is.
Sorry I can't be of more help.

#5 jayare

jayare

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:33 PM

The pads on the pre '76 ones are small and rectangular whereas the post '76 ones are hexagonal (but squashed) and are a fair bit bigger. I don't think there were any changes leverage ratio wise, but I can't be sure of that,

JR

#6 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,107 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:39 PM

The other difference may be for the brake light switch which was a hydraulic in-line switch up to '76, but fitted under the brake pedal in later cars.
The geometry, at least for the clutch pedal, should be the same for all Minis in theory, but with BMC/BL/ARG/Rover, who knows?

#7 mwalsh

mwalsh

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 12:17 AM

The other difference may be for the brake light switch which was a hydraulic in-line switch up to '76, but fitted under the brake pedal in later cars.
The geometry, at least for the clutch pedal, should be the same for all Minis in theory, but with BMC/BL/ARG/Rover, who knows?

Oh yeah. My '76 definitely has the hydraulic switch....it's just below/by the side of the solenoid block on the clutch side of the subframe. If those are likely to be the only differences....pedal pad size and the switch locating tab (which basically just bolts onto the later box anyway), I may just have a go at swapping the boxes out and seeing if I'm happier with the result.

#8 62S

62S

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts
  • Local Club: You must be joking!

Posted 13 December 2009 - 11:16 PM

The Cooper S pedal box itself isn't different just the brake pedal so it wouldn't affect the clutch.

#9 Boycie

Boycie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 11:23 PM

Clutch pedal-wise, I can confirm the later (diamond shaped pad) pedal will fit straight into a pre-76 pedal box.. as I have that setup in my car at the moment.

#10 minimanclive

minimanclive

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 14 December 2009 - 01:35 PM

When I converted my '78 Clubman estate from Auto to manual I got a clutch pedal from I think it was an early 80s Mini, fitted it fine. The engine with Verto clutch came from a 90s Mini. The clutch biting point was very low, and had a tendancy to crunch gears a bit. I swapped the clutch pedal for the one from the 90s Mini and it's slightly higher, and works properly now.

#11 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,669 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 14 December 2009 - 01:57 PM

The higher brake pedal was deliberate to give more pedal travel on tandem master cylinders. The solution here would be to fit a longer pushrod to the clutch cylinder, or look for slack elsewhere in the clutch mechanism.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users