Photo
- - - - -

Mr Bean 'live' At Goodwood This Weekend!

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 08:20 PM

Expressing an opinion that differs from yours is not soapboxing. I'm just trying to reflect what the mood was like in the paddock at the time, it genuinely was an embarrassment as far as I was concerned. I'm not against Mini parades, I've been in loads and at Mini shows they're great. It just felt out of place to me, everyone else there puts in real effort to put ultra high quality into their display and next to that the Mini parade looked like a real rabble.

#32 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 25 September 2009 - 08:50 PM

Well I can remember at the Mini @ 40 in Silverstone birthday celebrations back in 1999 (which BMW only hosted as part of that years 'Summerfest' instead of taking over the whole circuit), on the second day there was a big parade of Minis for the non Mini public who had turned up to see the motor racing.

That seemed to go down very well and so did the Russ Swift Italian Job style stunt driving whilst being chased by a Police Panda car.

So perhaps there were a few old moaners present (God knows I remember hearing a member of the general public comment on how he was amazed there were still so many Minis on the road as he walked along Brighton's Madera Drive during last years L2BR. He then stated how he was bored now and wanted to get away from there), but I'm sure there were many who enjoyed what they saw anyway?

#33 Turbocox

Turbocox

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Local Club: GTM OWNERS CLUB

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:12 PM

Expressing an opinion that differs from yours is not soapboxing. I'm just trying to reflect what the mood was like in the paddock at the time, it genuinely was an embarrassment as far as I was concerned. I'm not against Mini parades, I've been in loads and at Mini shows they're great. It just felt out of place to me, everyone else there puts in real effort to put ultra high quality into their display and next to that the Mini parade looked like a real rabble.

Another take on this, I heard No One say a bad word against me or any other car in the parade. all weekend was filled with, what a car it looks awsome, are you racing, Its a wonderfull to see all the specials.
We were there Thursday, Friday, Satuarday and Sunday and spoke to alot of people from all walks of life, in all the different enclosures without a rude or derogatory remark.

I know for a fact a current F1 driver. and a current designer both love the car, I know that this opinion that you express doesn't match others , as you say it takes all types to appreciate something different, but all are connected with the ever enduring Mini.

Everyone in the parade had discussed with the Goodwood team before hand and all cars were passed off, so if you see fit to stand by your veiws please refer them to Lord March expressing your disgust at the parade, please do not rubbish cars that owners have done there best with, with very short notice and very very small funds compared to the teams across the inside of the track with their £4 million DB4 Zagarto/SWB 250's cars.

Edited by Turbocox, 28 September 2009 - 06:57 PM.

#34 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 11:07 AM

Clearly I've offended you which was not intended, I'm sorry. Either you're intentionally mis-understanding me or I'm failing to make my point properly so just forget it.

#35 Sidewaysgtm

Sidewaysgtm

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Local Club: GTMOC

Posted 26 September 2009 - 03:52 PM

Clearly I've offended you which was not intended, I'm sorry. Either you're intentionally mis-understanding me or I'm failing to make my point properly so just forget it.

Some of your points were quite clear and could not be mis understood thats why something had to be said

Anyway back on topic

what a cracking Show Im still going through my pictures. The atmosphere was excellant we had so many people come and talk to us about the Cox and mini specials and made alot of contacts from it. People were willing to just chat away I got talking to an old boy about the supercharged engine on display at the rolls royce stand. Even got talking to some americans just in the food area which started off from a simple question about how to get infield.

West

#36 syholl

syholl

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 07:34 AM

I didn't mind the Mini parade too much, it was just a bit of a laugh.

It would have been nice if they had put a bit more effort in though. A proper celebration of the Mini's birthday should have been to gather together one of each of the different models and variants from the last 50 years, plus a few of the well known racing cars and celebrity cars that are still in existence. This would have taken a lot of time and effort though, so i can see why they just let in the first 50 cars that applied....!

Is that captain caveman car out of a film or something...? Never seen if before.

Sy

#37 mwalsh

mwalsh

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 07:23 PM

Yes I seem to remember reading in the press how he badly damaged one of his expensive exotic cars when he crashed into a Metro.

Metro killin' barstage!

JK of course. I actually love all of Rowan A's work and I'm sure he's a really nice fellow.

#38 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • 9,896 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 06:38 PM

ITV4 Goodwood Revival Coverage will be shown on Tuesday September 29th at 8.00pm i.e. tonight.

I'm told the programme will also be shown again on the following dates: -

ITV1 – Thursday 1 October at 1:15am (repeat)
ITV4 – Saturday 3 October at 5.30pm (repeat)

Edited by taffy1967, 01 October 2009 - 11:56 PM.

#39 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • 9,896 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 06:35 PM

Or watch it on-line here: -

Click Me

#40 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 12,051 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 30 September 2009 - 10:49 PM

Revised times to record on ITV 1 & 4:

ITV1 – Friday 2 October at 1:15am (repeat)
ITV4 – Saturday 3 October at 5:30pm (repeat)

#41 Barnett

Barnett

Michael Jackson has died...*plop*

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts
  • Local Club: the freeeeloader!!

Posted 01 October 2009 - 10:12 AM

Bit ooof topic!! but that video of him makes me homesick...not a fan of Bean at all!! but the scenery brings it all back!!

by the way the germans Love Mr Bean!! sums up there humour!!

#42 Mr. Bean

Mr. Bean

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 02:24 PM

I agree with Dan, it obviously wasn't Rowan driving the car. I imagine it was rather amusing in itself, but a shame it wasn't a more organised event.

Yes of Course it was not Rowan driving the car, thats just a crazy idea and pretty much impossible , There was a man sat in the lower half of the car, looking through a slot cut into a Dulux pot of paint, I know this because we sat with the driver during the Drivers Briefing. The Maximum speed Rowan could travel at was 25mph because of having no windshield. And he did travel at 25mph at several occassions.

Attached Files

• Attached File  Car.JPG   66K   14 downloads

Edited by Mr. Bean, 02 October 2009 - 02:25 PM.

#43 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • 9,896 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 09:04 PM

I can just make out a pair of eyes and a nose.

:(

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users