Photo
- - - - -

Mr Bean 'live' At Goodwood This Weekend!

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#16 shedonwheels

shedonwheels

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 01:52 PM

:teehee: That's like the one I saw!

amy whens greg doing the italian job bus scene?

I don't know? :teehee: maybe they're not doing it?

#17 rick.spi

rick.spi

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts
  • Local Club: "WOT NO BRAKES"

Posted 20 September 2009 - 02:30 PM

haha exellent!

#18 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 04:11 PM

One of these you mean?

Oh no, a Hustler is a fairly well known kit car and a lot of people would recognise it. I mean an actual conservatory.

You're being a grumpy old man about the Mr Bean stunt though because it looks awesome, I wish I could have seen it!

x2 looks amazing in the pictures

Aah but that's precisely the point, you weren't there, you didn't see it and yes it does look good in the photos. Photos don't tell the whole story though. It was pretty slow and Rowan was hamming it up to his usual standard. Those people unfortunate enough not to be able to see one of the large screens couldn't even tell if it was him or not. Goodwood, as I said before is not a Mini show. People go there to race and to watch racing. If there had to be a Mini parade it should have shown off the very best of the marque, as all the other cars there do for their various brands. It should not have included several ludicrous re-bodies that don't even look like Minis. There were 3 or 4 Mini based things there that I hadn't seen before but frankly I'm not sure I was missing anything. The parade certainly shouldn't have ended with the 60's Cooper Police car breaking what is absolute rule number 1 of any race circuit and driving round the track the wrong way, essentially proving to everyone that if there was one place that driver should not be it's on a race track. Racers and racing fans were not impressed and I feel it was an embarrassment to the Mini rather than a celebration. The Mini race really showed off what Minis can do and showed that the Mini fully deserved to be there. It's a racing festival, the Mini has tons of racing heritage and pedigree in several different classes so let's celebrate that rather than showing off that somebody thought it was a good idea to replace the body of their car with a giant fibreglass rock.

#19 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 04:13 PM

And no I don't believe this is a genuine and original Pope mobile. It's awful and should be banished.

Attached Files

• Attached File  what.jpg   3.09MB   40 downloads

#20 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 20 September 2009 - 04:30 PM

I agree with Dan, it obviously wasn't Rowan driving the car. I imagine it was rather amusing in itself, but a shame it wasn't a more organised event.

#21 Pitcrew6464

Pitcrew6464

• Members
  • 1,673 posts
  • Local Club: mini 7 racing club

Posted 20 September 2009 - 04:49 PM

Fantastic :teehee: rowan is a hero!

#22 Vipernoir

Vipernoir

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • Local Club: Minis Unlimited

Posted 21 September 2009 - 11:51 AM

Part of the problem with the parade was that the speed limit of 30mph was totally ignored by the front half of the parade - the Union Jack cars trundled round in formation exactly as the script called for, but the preceding cars disappeared into the distance. Had the parade been led by them instead of the Police car, it may have been a bit more coherent for the crowd.

#23 leaky

leaky

Iv never hit a penguin in the face with a casserole

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,890 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 21 September 2009 - 11:56 AM

And no I don't believe this is a genuine and original Pope mobile. It's awful and should be banished.

I would love to do an emergency stop in one of those. It would just do a big endo and end up laying on its face. :lol:

#24 Broomer

Broomer

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 01:48 PM

I agree with Dan, it obviously wasn't Rowan driving the car. I imagine it was rather amusing in itself, but a shame it wasn't a more organised event.

Yes of Course it was not Rowan driving the car, thats just a crazy idea and pretty much impossible , There was a man sat in the lower half of the car, looking through a slot cut into a Dulux pot of paint, I know this because we sat with the driver during the Drivers Briefing. The Maximum speed Rowan could travel at was 25mph because of having no windshield. And he did travel at 25mph at several occassions.

Edited by Broomer, 21 September 2009 - 02:05 PM.

#25 Sidewaysgtm

Sidewaysgtm

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Local Club: GTMOC

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:21 PM

Dan I think you need to take a step of your soap box

I would had liked to see you try and organise the parade, it was a little ambitious I would agree and could had been slightly more streamlined, but they did the best they could what a misson to get the cars out on circuit from where they were parked. The crowd was so deep im amazed they managed to get the cars out in the time they did..

The Mini derivatives are part of the Mini history!

Our prescence was asked for by Lord March, he knew what cars were coming and was invovled with the selection of cars there and what a diverse selection. What an event he certainly knows how to put on a good show.

West

#26 MINI 1

MINI 1

The Ginger One #2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • Local Club: LCMOC

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:25 PM

did any body catch i vid ?

#27 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 25 September 2009 - 12:59 AM

Check this forum thread for the soon to be shown TV coverage: -

Click Me

:lol:

#28 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,138 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:02 AM

Mr Bean frivolity aside - Has Anyone seen R.Atkison actually drive before? He's a very accomplished gravel/track driver, and he has a fine collection of cars too :P

though he's had his fair share of crashes too :thumbsup:

#29 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 25 September 2009 - 05:04 PM

Mr Bean frivolity aside - Has Anyone seen R.Atkison actually drive before? He's a very accomplished gravel/track driver, and he has a fine collection of cars too :P

though he's had his fair share of crashes too :thumbsup:

Yes I seem to remember reading in the press how he badly damaged one of his expensive exotic cars when he crashed into a Metro.

#30 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 12,051 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 25 September 2009 - 05:29 PM

As well as appearing at the Revival as Mr Bean, Rowan Atkinson was due to race a 1965 Austin Mini Cooper S in the St Mary’s Trophy all Mini saloon car races but apparently there was a problem with his racing licence which mean't he could not take part.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users