Photo
- - - - -

Mr Bean 'live' At Goodwood This Weekend!

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,042 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 19 September 2009 - 07:16 AM

Car enthusiast Rowan Atkinson makes his first live public appearance as Mr Bean at the Goodwood Revival this weekend.............. :)

"His star turn will form part of a celebration of 50 years of the Mini, the car used by the TV character.
Mr Bean will drive the car while sitting on top of the roof in an armchair, controlling the steering and pedals with a mop and string. The show will take to the motor circuit on all three days of the Revival, from September 18-20.
Atkinson will also compete in an original 1965 Austin Mini Cooper S in an all-Mini St Mary's Trophy saloon car race."

http://www.telegraph...-Bean-live.html

Zavsd6etz_Q

#2 leaky

leaky

Iv never hit a penguin in the face with a casserole

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,890 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 19 September 2009 - 08:46 AM

Cool. Im gonna see if I can go this year. I haven't been in a couple of years.

#3 mister bridger

mister bridger

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 09:06 AM

Saw him do this yesterday and certainly appeared to be driving it for real - bit hair raising through the chicane! I thought they might have a small person crouching in the drivers seat!

#4 leaky

leaky

Iv never hit a penguin in the face with a casserole

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,890 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 19 September 2009 - 09:47 AM

HAHA well thats like something to watch. Just found out I cant go as my dad would rather go to newbury show. Yes I now remember why I haven't been to this in a few years. Dam Newbury show.

#5 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 12,042 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 10:20 AM

Saw him do this yesterday and certainly appeared to be driving it for real - bit hair raising through the chicane! I thought they might have a small person crouching in the drivers seat!

I did not see the Mr Beans Mini close up but from the grandstand it looked like the real driver was hidden 'boxed' in behind the drivers seat and viewing through a hole in the headrest?

#6 Zub

Zub

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 11:24 AM

Comic actor Rowan Atkinson amazed fans with his bumbling Mr Bean character by driving a Mini around a race track – while sitting on an armchair strapped to the roof.

The car fan, who played the iconic role on TV from 1989 to 1995, was recreating one of the show's most memorable scenes at the Goodwood Revival festival.

In the sketch, Mr Bean buys several items of large furniture and then realises they will not fit in his Mini.

Posted Image
Wheeling with laughter: Fans chuckled as Rowan Atkinson's Mr Bean character drove around Goodwood

He then straps the armchair to the roof and drives home operating the car with a mop and some string.

Visitors to the Sussex racetrack were once again rolling with laughter as Mr Atkinson drove the distinctive pea green and black Mini Mr Bean-style around the circuit yesterday.

It was part of a huge parade of Minis to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the legendary British car.

It also marks the 20th anniversary of the creation of Mr Bean.

A well-known motoring enthusiast, Mr Atkinson has been a huge supporter of both the Revival and Festival of Speed over the years, and has been a regular participant.

Posted Image
I've Bean racing: Atkinson's performance was every bit as funny as his original show which ended in 1995

Posted Image
Daring: Atkinson controlled the Mini using just some rope attached to the wheel and a mop to prod the pedals

He will also take part in celebrations for Sir Stirling Moss's 80th birthday when he demonstrates his Jaguar Mk VI.

To mark Mr Goodwood's birthday, 80 of the 96 cars which Stirling drove during his racing career will be on display.

Other famous faces appearing at the event include 1969 moon-walking astronaut Buzz Aldrin who will be a judge in the Freddie March Spirit of Aviation concours for classic aircraft.

This year's event will also be celebrating Mary Quant's mini-skirt.

Ladies are being encouraged to wear theirs and stroll along a recreation of London's Carnaby Street in the Swinging Sixties, and take part in Revival Ladies Day today.

Posted Image
Comedy gold: Atkinson performs the original stunt back in an episode of Mr Bean back in the 1990s

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz0Re3ZiKOw

#7 skaterava

skaterava

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 11:38 AM

Haha, that takes real guts to race around a track sitting on a car's roof. :teehee:

#8 Bec

Bec

Crazy About Mini's

• Admin
  • 5,899 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 11:41 AM

Oh man I love Rowan Atkinson, he is amazing! I really hope that is in youtube at some point!

#9 Bec

Bec

Crazy About Mini's

• Admin
  • 5,899 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 12:12 PM

afqQQOBVm6s

:teehee:

#10 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 12:14 PM

Haha, that takes real guts to race around a track sitting on a car's roof.

...at about 11 mph, in a reinforced chair, in a harness, while being driven by a very skilled stunt driver hiding in the back of the Mini, in a stunt you've done before several times. It was funny yes but this article has exagerated it a fair chunk. To be honest the real racers who were there were mostly quite annoyed by the Mini parade and speaking as a Mini fan who was with my mate in the paddock waiting for his race to start at the time I found it quite embarrassing. This was a very rough collection of Minis, including several kits that have only the slightest connection to the Mini and really most of the crowd wondered what was going on as a result. There were some very nice and very rare old Minis there but also a lot of stuff that left those outside the Mini community at a loss to understand exactly what they were looking at. This parade should have been kept to recognisable and well cared for examples of historically important Minis only because most people watching don't know about variants or Mini based kits and it was a bit baffling. I was explaining to people in the paddock that yes that really is a Mini, although it looks like a giant Outspan orange on the outside. There was one car that was essentially a conservatory with Mini subframes underneath. I have a photo I'll put up later to explain. The Mini racing at Goodwood was excellent and people really enjoyed it (even though Tiff Needell was driving!) but the parade was hopeless frankly. Goodwood Revival is a historic race meeting, not a Mini show. I also believe it was the Mini parade that pushed the schedule back by 9 minutes meaning that a later race had to be cut short because the Vulcan display couldn't be held up at all.

Edited by Dan, 20 September 2009 - 12:17 PM.

#11 Zub

Zub

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 12:46 PM

...at about 11 mph, in a reinforced chair, in a harness, while being driven by a very skilled stunt driver hiding in the back of the Mini, in a stunt you've done before several times. It was funny yes but this article has exagerated it a fair chunk. To be honest the real racers who were there were mostly quite annoyed by the Mini parade and speaking as a Mini fan who was with my mate in the paddock waiting for his race to start at the time I found it quite embarrassing. This was a very rough collection of Minis, including several kits that have only the slightest connection to the Mini and really most of the crowd wondered what was going on as a result. There were some very nice and very rare old Minis there but also a lot of stuff that left those outside the Mini community at a loss to understand exactly what they were looking at. This parade should have been kept to recognisable and well cared for examples of historically important Minis only because most people watching don't know about variants or Mini based kits and it was a bit baffling. I was explaining to people in the paddock that yes that really is a Mini, although it looks like a giant Outspan orange on the outside. There was one car that was essentially a conservatory with Mini subframes underneath. I have a photo I'll put up later to explain. The Mini racing at Goodwood was excellent and people really enjoyed it (even though Tiff Needell was driving!) but the parade was hopeless frankly. Goodwood Revival is a historic race meeting, not a Mini show. I also believe it was the Mini parade that pushed the schedule back by 9 minutes meaning that a later race had to be cut short because the Vulcan display couldn't be held up at all.

well are'nt we all sunshine and rainbows....

#12 shedonwheels

shedonwheels

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 01:07 PM

...at about 11 mph, in a reinforced chair, in a harness, while being driven by a very skilled stunt driver hiding in the back of the Mini, in a stunt you've done before several times. It was funny yes but this article has exagerated it a fair chunk....There was one car that was essentially a conservatory with Mini subframes underneath. I have a photo I'll put up later to explain.

I think I saw that greenhouse on wheels at Uttoxeter, can't believe that was in the 'mini' parade?!

You're being a grumpy old man about the Mr Bean stunt though because it looks awesome, I wish I could have seen it!

#13 gregh55

gregh55

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts
  • Local Club: naaa

Posted 20 September 2009 - 01:21 PM

I think I saw that greenhouse on wheels at Uttoxeter, can't believe that was in the 'mini' parade?!

You're being a grumpy old man about the Mr Bean stunt though because it looks awesome, I wish I could have seen it!

x2 looks amazing in the pictures :teehee: , amy whens greg doing the italian job bus scene?

#14 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 12,042 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 01:29 PM

The Video from the TV episode to compare in yesterdays Mr Bean thread:-

http://www.theminifo...howtopic=135780

#15 mini-man-dan

mini-man-dan

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts
  • Local Club: J19 Mini Owners Club

Posted 20 September 2009 - 01:34 PM

There was one car that was essentially a conservatory with Mini subframes underneath. I have a photo I'll put up later to explain

One of these you mean? :teehee:
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users