Photo
- - - - -

Another Landrover Project ! This 1 Will Get Finished !

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#46 GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

Has Ratchet, Will Make Noises

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:52 PM

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Jeez

Good thing the little boy got out just before huh?!

#47 racer36

racer36

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 09:05 PM

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Jeez

Good thing the little boy got out just before huh?!

definately he did the right thing by getting the boy out as chances are he could well have been killed

when i am out in any of my landrovers i always boot my friends out before doing anything like that,i once forgot i left my mate aaron in the passenger seat(hes 16 so not little lol) i was in a discovery with road tyres hitting a bank that was well over 100ft high and it was grass(and it was hammering down with rain moest places were flooded)

got right to the top and exactly the same thing happend as on that vid where the landrover pointed sideways,fortunatly i slammed the throttle and spun it round preventing a roll if i had rolled it would have killed us both(we had seatbelts on but it wouldent have made a difference) it was singlely the moest terrifying moment of my life NEVER AGAIN will i be that stupid

people think 4x4 trialing isent dangerous but if people saw vids like this more often they would think twice ( i know i will in my 90)

thanks for reading :D

#48 racer36

racer36

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 11:00 PM

also forgot to update !

not much done today i changed the bonnet for a slightly better one tempory as i couldent stand looking at that old crap 1 with millions of holes and rivets stuck in it,i also started taking bits of the front off for sanding,spraying,repairing and changing

Posted Image

#49 onefastmoke

onefastmoke

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 03:57 PM

looking good, as far as your electrical problems I'm afraid you've just got to start tracing and testing wires.
I had a similar problem with the lights and found some of the wires had gradually worn through in the loom (remember that the rear loom enters into the chassis at the engine bay and runs to the rear through the chassis). ended up byassing most of mine with new wires as I had the added extra of a military light switch with all different settings for the lights

#50 racer36

racer36

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:01 PM

looking good, as far as your electrical problems I'm afraid you've just got to start tracing and testing wires.
I had a similar problem with the lights and found some of the wires had gradually worn through in the loom (remember that the rear loom enters into the chassis at the engine bay and runs to the rear through the chassis). ended up byassing most of mine with new wires as I had the added extra of a military light switch with all different settings for the lights

im tempted to just use a switch to turn the rears on for main beam and a direct feed to the pedal box for brake lights as it should make life easier

i hate electrics i am no good at them lol

will post pictures of my trial run after making adjustments to different aspects of it

decided to see just how far it would twist by using a huge rock which worked perfectly i think i should have gone for longer shocks but its a bit late now lol

#51 cooper1275

cooper1275

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Local Club: none but will get around to it

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:34 AM

that looks like a really nice landy mate!

is it just me or do mini owners and landrover owners over lap?
i have met so many people who either start out with one and then end with the other too!

oh and im planning on getting a defender to use when i eventually get to working on my mini again! :ermm:

#52 racer36

racer36

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 07:01 PM

hi and thanks mate :)

nice to see someone else is taking an interest :)

got word from dad today and he might be willing to help pay for a full external rollcage thats my next goal as im sure every1 will agree its well worth it

yeh there does seem to be a lot of mini owners having landys lol its because they are the best combo of cars to have !

a defender is a good option but dont forget they are noisy and uncomfortable on long journeys if not changed slightly(hence my bmw seats ) it all depends on your height,width and arm lenth as to what mods are best it depends what you will use it for :dontgetit:

dont let this put you off ! fantastic veicles and near bulletproof with relaiability lol

thanks for reading :)

#53 racer36

racer36

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:17 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#54 racer36

racer36

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 12:06 AM

have decided to do some rarther mad mods now !

decided to strip off tthe wings and front end as i noticed they are actually bent along with that the roof is dented

while the wings are off i will do my best to see if i can stick in another new engine

i have a 3.5litre V8 engine sat here doing nothing(from red discovery) so if i can ill stick that in as this wont be going on the road anymore its offroad only! should be great fun coaxing this new lump into place ! while im at it ill do some repairs and strenthening to the wings,bonnet,chassis and basicly anything i see that needs doing i will do

i removed the engine from the discovery along with ALL of the wiring so i will have to spend a while cutting off and removing the electric windows,heaters, and anything else not directly related to my engine in the wiring(i have aboslutely no idea what im doing in this area)

just a shame i baught a service kit for my 200tdi(timing kit,filters)

dad isent going to be pleased when i start taking my engine out again after he helped me put this one in only a few weeks ago(helped with phiscal power to force it onto gearbox)

the wing i have got off flatly refused to come off easilly so it did get damaged and bent more i might scrap theese wings and use my spares instead

as for the v8 i have a question

in the discovery it had a very small thin rail which looked like an oil cooler,do i need one of theese? i cant see what effect it has as its tiny and the fans dont go near it anyway hopefully i havent chucked out the v8 radatior

heres some pics of today its taken hours!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

thanks for reading comments appricated

#55 onefastmoke

onefastmoke

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 03:17 PM

yes, that is the oil cooler and it is needed unless you have a tdi radiator to use with the oil cooler built into the side. (two steel pipes going into the drivers side of the rad). the v8 should slot into your gearbox without problems you will just need to weld in some new engine mounts. wiring is supposed to be fairly easy, use the engine loom off the discovery then theres only about 4 wires that need joined into your 90's electrics.
also think you will need to change the fuel pump

#56 racer36

racer36

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 04:17 PM

yes, that is the oil cooler and it is needed unless you have a tdi radiator to use with the oil cooler built into the side. (two steel pipes going into the drivers side of the rad). the v8 should slot into your gearbox without problems you will just need to weld in some new engine mounts. wiring is supposed to be fairly easy, use the engine loom off the discovery then theres only about 4 wires that need joined into your 90's electrics.

ill buy a new oil cooler from foundy 4x4 asap

id rarther use a separate oil cooler so i can use the v8 rad which is a lot bigger and has no intercooler

the v8 is from a discovery which used the LT77 box,when i did my 200tdi it used the same box but needed stud mods so how dosent this need it? i find it rarther strange unless because its the same engine as used in range rovers and 90s they are made to fit all boxes?

how do i need to weld in new mounts? the v8 used the same mounts as the orginal 90 engine in the same places? unless its advised to use the bigger 200tdi discovery mounts?

wiring to be honest looks horrible i have a massive loom that needs separating and its also an EFI (injection) engine so that makes it 10 times worse :)

fuel pumps i think were electric so ill use an aftermarket pump in the engine bay for easy acces

the 200tdi is now out and the rest of the front is off will post pics later on

thanks

#57 onefastmoke

onefastmoke

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 05:02 PM

id rarther use a separate oil cooler so i can use the v8 rad which is a lot bigger and has no intercooler

the v8 is from a discovery which used the LT77 box,when i did my 200tdi it used the same box but needed stud mods so how dosent this need it? i find it rarther strange unless because its the same engine as used in range rovers and 90s they are made to fit all boxes?

how do i need to weld in new mounts? the v8 used the same mounts as the orginal 90 engine in the same places? unless its advised to use the bigger 200tdi discovery mounts?

wiring to be honest looks horrible i have a massive loom that needs separating and its also an EFI (injection) engine so that makes it 10 times worse :)

fuel pumps i think were electric so ill use an aftermarket pump in the engine bay for easy acces

thanks

sorry I didn't really make any sense about the gearbox (I am just about 30 lol) right I'll start again you need to use the lt77 gearbox from the discovery which will slot straight into your 90, this is important as the bell housing is different and longer so you need the discovery box for the correct length of input shaft. the longer bell housing brings your engine further forward but in the correct position for a v8 which is why you need to weld in new engine mounts. phew I think thats got it lol.

#58 racer36

racer36

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 05:04 PM

thanks

sorry I didn't really make any sense about the gearbox (I am just about 30 lol) right I'll start again you need to use the lt77 gearbox from the discovery which will slot straight into your 90, this is important as the bell housing is different and longer so you need the discovery box for the correct length of input shaft. the longer bell housing brings your engine further forward but in the correct position for a v8 which is why you need to weld in new engine mounts. phew I think thats got it lol.

ahh now i get it !

is there any chance of using the bellhousing and bits from 200tdi engine? also pics are commin in just a sec

Edited by racer36, 10 September 2009 - 05:05 PM.

#59 onefastmoke

onefastmoke

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 05:08 PM

ahh now i get it !

is there any chance of using the bellhousing and bits from 200tdi engine? also pics are commin in just a sec

the input shaft is different, I believe it is possible to strip down and change the input shaft but if you have the discovery box there then its only a couple of hours job to drop it out the discovery and fit into the 90

#60 racer36

racer36

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 05:08 PM

pics !:)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

pic 1 is engine in and front end off