Photo
- - - - -

Another Landrover Project ! This 1 Will Get Finished !

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 racer36

racer36

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 06:47 PM

people may have seen my discovery project which ended up scrapped but i have now started on a defender 90 ( a different one)

plans are:
discovery engine
big wheels and tyres
200TDI defender axles
chassis clean up
winch bumper
winch
truck cab instead of the full roof
2 inch suspention lift with all new coils and shocks
full respray
spotlights
bucket seats and harnesses

so far i have taken the old engine out,fitted discovery engine,removed roof and sides,stripped interior and prepped sum of it for respray
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

theese pics are from before either engine is out as im having trouble getting the rest onto computer at the moment

#2 mrmoo

mrmoo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Local Club: Causeway Coast Mini Club

Posted 10 August 2009 - 06:53 PM

Landrover....The best 4x4 by far...!

#3 racer36

racer36

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:08 PM

defo they are built really well and can b customised forever lol

#4 onefastmoke

onefastmoke

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:06 PM

good luck
which discovery engine are you fitting? on the final stages of getting the discovery 300tdi and r380 gearbox into my ex-military 90

#5 racer36

racer36

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 03:06 PM

good luck
which discovery engine are you fitting? on the final stages of getting the discovery 300tdi and r380 gearbox into my ex-military 90

im using the 200tdi discovery engine on the original 90 box

problems i have found are:

bellhousing and box wont fit as u need to remove studs
turbo pipe was crushed against the body
need electric fans and remove the original viscous fan
exaust needs thye conversion pipe which i havent got yet
i used the discovery alternator with the 90 wiring so they plug in an out to the 90 plugs

trying to get a donor 90 off my because which is a 200tdi but i only want the axles so i can fit alloys ill just swap them so i can keep both running

are you using the discovery r380 box? i prefer the LT77 as i like reverse being away from my leg ( long legs)

Edited by racer36, 11 August 2009 - 03:06 PM.

#6 onefastmoke

onefastmoke

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 03:45 PM

good luck

i used the discovery alternator with the 90 wiring so they plug in an out to the 90 plugs

trying to get a donor 90 off my because which is a 200tdi but i only want the axles so i can fit alloys ill just swap them so i can keep both running

are you using the discovery r380 box? i prefer the LT77 as i like reverse being away from my leg ( long legs)

yeah I'm using the disco r380, modified my seat box as the levers come through further back than a defender gearbox but the position is quite comfortable and it had the added bonus of making the engine sit further forward in the engine bay, I've also ditched the viscous fan for a kenlowe electric one. why can't you use the axles off the discovery? they are more or less a straight fit as long as you use the discovery brake pipes and steering drag link etc.

#7 racer36

racer36

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 02:20 PM

good luck

yeah I'm using the disco r380, modified my seat box as the levers come through further back than a defender gearbox but the position is quite comfortable and it had the added bonus of making the engine sit further forward in the engine bay, I've also ditched the viscous fan for a kenlowe electric one. why can't you use the axles off the discovery? they are more or less a straight fit as long as you use the discovery brake pipes and steering drag link etc.

i kept mine as the 90 box to make things easier and to keep it looking normal tho i like disco boxes a lot better

im also going for an electric fan off a vauxhall vectra tho it fits near straight on which is a bonus

i still havent heard about the other 90 im after yet as im now starting to get desprate for bits
i need grille metal panel,seatbox, passenger wing as mine has a dent,bonnet,windscreen+frame,rear tub,axles and steering collum

i noticed yesterday that my tub has oxidised where the seatbelt mountings are and theres just a big hole there so seeing as its gone on the back aswel the rear tub is comming off for a newer one also using bmw seats instead of buckets and harnesses so it can be a daily driver as our 110 has harnesses and its a right pain in the arse

either the old or a new roof ( same style as original) is going back on as the truck cab dosent fit :D plus when i stuck it in place i couldent drive it as i cudent get my foot off the clutch lol( too cramped)

last few days has just been cleaning jobs and just changing old rusted bolts for stainless ones

i fitted my winch bumper a few days ago and decided to test it by ramming my scrap vectra around a few times and it hasent moved or dented at all its really strong so at £110 it was a bargian

my next job will be to take the full roof back off and strip rear tub off ,while im at it ill change the axles and suspention and renew all bolts ready to take apart again for a galvinised chassis ( long run mod well worth doing )

it might turn into a complete stripdown to a bare chassis and clean and paint this one while im at it everything i can afford will be renewed and all bolts will be stainless

thanks for taking an interest

ps:just noticed my dog having a sunbathe on the roof in 1 pic LOL

#8 onefastmoke

onefastmoke

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 05:55 PM

i kept mine as the 90 box to make things easier and to keep it looking normal tho i like disco boxes a lot better

im also going for an electric fan off a vauxhall vectra tho it fits near straight on which is a bonus

i still havent heard about the other 90 im after yet as im now starting to get desprate for bits
i need grille metal panel,seatbox, passenger wing as mine has a dent,bonnet,windscreen+frame,rear tub,axles and steering collum

i noticed yesterday that my tub has oxidised where the seatbelt mountings are and theres just a big hole there so seeing as its gone on the back aswel the rear tub is comming off for a newer one also using bmw seats instead of buckets and harnesses so it can be a daily driver as our 110 has harnesses and its a right pain in the arse

either the old or a new roof ( same style as original) is going back on as the truck cab dosent fit ;) plus when i stuck it in place i couldent drive it as i cudent get my foot off the clutch lol( too cramped)

last few days has just been cleaning jobs and just changing old rusted bolts for stainless ones

i fitted my winch bumper a few days ago and decided to test it by ramming my scrap vectra around a few times and it hasent moved or dented at all its really strong so at £110 it was a bargian

my next job will be to take the full roof back off and strip rear tub off ,while im at it ill change the axles and suspention and renew all bolts ready to take apart again for a galvinised chassis ( long run mod well worth doing )

it might turn into a complete stripdown to a bare chassis and clean and paint this one while im at it everything i can afford will be renewed and all bolts will be stainless

How bad is your seatbox? both ends had oxidised on mine and the battery box was none existant but I got some repair sections from here click me! they were a really good fit and with the added bonus of an aluminium battery box rather than steel you don't kill your back lifting it in and out.
just changed all my wheel bearings this weekend, changed the timing belt, fitted the hard top and modified a series upper tailgate to fit, almost back on the road now :lol:

#9 racer36

racer36

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 07:39 PM

either the old or a new roof ( same style as original) is going back on as the truck cab dosent fit ;) plus when i stuck it in place i couldent drive it as i cudent get my foot off the clutch lol( too cramped)

How bad is your seatbox? both ends had oxidised on mine and the battery box was none existant but I got some repair sections from here click me! they were a really good fit and with the added bonus of an aluminium battery box rather than steel you don't kill your back lifting it in and out.
just changed all my wheel bearings this weekend, changed the timing belt, fitted the hard top and modified a series upper tailgate to fit, almost back on the road now :lol:

my seatbox is totaly shot on the end it still can take the weight of a person but theres just massive holes at the ends lol

when i get my new axles ill be changing all the bushes,refurbishing the callipers,new pads,dependig on conditon an price itl benew discs,wheel bearings and all seals

eventually it will be castor corrected radius arms and a galv chassis but thats a while away yet

i started removing bits for my rear tub today will have to wait for dad to give me a hand taking out seatbox and floors as i need someone underneath bolts are rusty as hell

also i stepped up off my rockslider into it earlia and it collapsed causing me to smash my nose on the side pilliar half my outrigger had fallen off ! ( the round ones) when i move upto carmarthen ill be geting on with the more mayjor work as i dont fancy taking it up in bits lol

#10 rustandoil

rustandoil

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 12:14 PM

Interesting project, keep us posted

I have been into Land Rovers for the last 20+ years fantastic vehicles!

I have just got interested in Minis and the novelty of being able to pick up a wheel & tyre with one hand still hasn't worn off!

Funny how Minis and Land Rovers go together somehow !?

#11 onefastmoke

onefastmoke

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 01:01 PM

I have just got interested in Minis and the novelty of being able to pick up a wheel & tyre with one hand still hasn't worn off!

lol I'm going to be running 35" tyres on mine so I know what you mean. will get some pictures up and start a proect thread soon if thres some interest

#12 racer36

racer36

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:11 PM

lol I'm going to be running 35" tyres on mine so I know what you mean. will get some pictures up and start a proect thread soon if thres some interest

35" !! christ be careful u dont break a shaft lol

cant agree more about picking up a wheel!!

my roof and rear tub is now off so will start removing the axles to do the bushes and clean up the chassis

onefastmoke get a thread up ! ;D

#13 racer36

racer36

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 01:59 AM

chassis now done( cleaned and painted black) so waiting on a donor 90 for the panels and axles

landrover will be for sale when finished is anyone interested in buying? not sure what to charge for it i know prices are quite high a the moment

on the list for reknewing are,wings,bonnet,rear tub,seats,dash,axles,roof+sides,bushes,floors

im using chequr plate floors that are the actual floor not just stuck on top in both the front and rear( using a liner in rear)

will be having electric blue paint,spotlights,winch,insa turbo specail track tyres on new rims,bmw seats with 90 seatbelts,2 inch suspention lift with dislocation cones may also lower shock mounts so it can articulate more

very high quality truck when done as i was orginally building it for myself but fancy doing a 110 after this so its up for grabs at around £3000-4000 depending on what the costs are for me iv already spent a fair bit on 2 donor veicles,buying the 90 itself and also( when i find one) another 90 for body panels when finished it will be mint all round

im right down on budget ( got £200 left out of £2000) so will be borrowing a little more to get the last bits i should make a small profit after this im not aiming for a massive amount as its a hobby for me

next project will be something like a series 3 109" or a defender 110

no1 seems to have any interest in my project tho exept onefastmoke and the other 2

#14 racer36

racer36

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 06:55 PM

did i get a 110"....nope i baught a series 2 109" now :)

#15 onefastmoke

onefastmoke

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:47 PM

did i get a 110"....nope i baught a series 2 109" now :)

pictures, pictures, pictures, pictures, pictures, pictures, pictures, pictures, pictures, pictures, pictures, pictures, pictures, pictures, pictures, pictures, pictures, pictures, pictures, pictures, pictures, pictures, pictures, pictures
I think you get the message lol

Edited by onefastmoke, 24 August 2009 - 07:47 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users