nickrose

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 07:18 AM

Like these?

Posted Image

If you get them you need to glue the inner part of the enclosure to the outer part as it vibrates with high bass, I used a hot glue gun - worked a treat.

Nick

How have you ran the speaker wire through the door, different to Danny_California?

I ran the wire following the existing central locking wire that the alarm company installed.

It travels down the void in between the door and pillar, grommets top and bottom and siliconed in for good measure.

Posted Image

#17 norwegianminiman

norwegianminiman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Local Club: norwegian mini cooper club

Posted 04 June 2009 - 07:36 AM

how much slack did you leave in the wire?

#18 nickrose

nickrose

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 08:03 AM

how much slack did you leave in the wire?

It followed the central locking wire, so theres maybe an inch of movement when the door is fully open.

#19 Watso

Watso

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 08:43 AM

Hi Watso,

Good position for the tweeters, look better there than i thought they might.

Project for the weekend :-

Nick

Go careful with the hole saw mate, its a nightmare with the veneer being so thin. The dash in those pics is my old one (notice its all lifting an peeling in places), i replaced it last weekend with another genuine rover jobby and it took ages to cut the holes without splitting anything. There's possibly just 1.5mm of actual wood between the edge of the tweeter and it splitting. go very slow :D

#20 bert998

bert998

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,558 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:11 AM

And use masking tape.

#21 nickrose

nickrose

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:55 AM

Hi Watso,

Project for the weekend :-

Nick

Go careful with the hole saw mate, its a nightmare with the veneer being so thin. The dash in those pics is my old one (notice its all lifting an peeling in places), i replaced it last weekend with another genuine rover jobby and it took ages to cut the holes without splitting anything. There's possibly just 1.5mm of actual wood between the edge of the tweeter and it splitting. go very slow :D

And use masking tape.

Thanks Guys,

Yeah, have cut into it before, very thin veneer - but ain't that the definition of veneer! :angel:

Edited by nickrose, 04 June 2009 - 10:08 AM.

#22 Watso

Watso

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 10:11 AM

Hi Watso,

Project for the weekend :P

Nick

And use masking tape.

Thanks Guys,

Yeah, have cut into it before, very thin veneer - but ain't that the definition of veneer! :dontgetit:

true dat! :-:lol::angel: ;-)

#23 bert998

bert998

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,558 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 10:49 AM

A better way to do it would be to cut through the veneer with a scribe, then cut through the backing with the holesaw.
That way the heat from the holesaw wont lift the veneer, or is at least less likely to.

#24 Watso

Watso

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 01:30 PM

A better way to do it would be to cut through the veneer with a scribe, then cut through the backing with the holesaw.
That way the heat from the holesaw wont lift the veneer, or is at least less likely to.

Good call, although I found it more of an issue with the bit jamming and cracking the glaze/veneer than it lifting. Might have been because the dash was knackered though. "New" one went a treat, probably more likely that is was me kacking myself and going so slowly/lightly with it that worked. Still for those that fancy a go.... :D

#25 gav

gav

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 01:57 PM

So you can see about 6 inches of wire? Or have i read that wrong, why not just run it straight into the door at the top and then have the wire running down the inside of the door?

#26 nickrose

nickrose

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:48 PM

So you can see about 6 inches of wire? Or have i read that wrong, why not just run it straight into the door at the top and then have the wire running down the inside of the door?

Yeah, being pedantic it's agout 8 inches of wire running down the void. On an old mini I had about 6 years ago I drilled the inside face of the door and had a loop showing when the door was open and closed.

Did it this way so no wire would show, it's a pain do drill the void side of the door just below the top hinge on the door and above the bottom hinge on the frame, but well worth it to hide the all the wires, and the wire flexes less so less likely to break.

If you want i'll take some more detailed pictures, in between the heavy rain showers!

#27 HIrantha

HIrantha

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Car Club

Posted 12 May 2024 - 12:14 PM

Is the speaker mounted from outside or inside?

#28 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 12 May 2024 - 01:28 PM

Is the speaker mounted from outside or inside?

The speaker mount on the face of the bin/side towards centre of car.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users