• Please log in to reply
346 replies to this topic

#346 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,138 posts

Posted 22 July 2024 - 07:27 PM

Decided to pull the distributor today with the intention of flipping the drive 180°, though I didn't do the latter, I did rebuild the dizzy using the new parts I'd bought a while back.

Blue points, condenser (had to find a washer to go underneath the screw mounting tab - as it has not been placed correctly offset by the factory,... Old parts are still the best by the looks of things!) Powermax rotor arm, and a new cap. Also had to fit a cable tie around the cable shroud where it pops through the dizzy body, the old type had a step in the moulding which would hold it there, the new parts do not. I find this lack of attention from manufacturers frustrating, these are small but functional differences, not just aesthetic !

Stumbled across the accuspark coil in my parts stash, I've no recollection of getting it, but it's correct for my ballasted ignition, and after checking the windings with my multimeter, it checks out. A nice find!

qFpGRkY.jpeg

Pleased with how it went together, I'd originally planned to fit an electronic module,.. but I've never had trouble from points... Even with a ducellior distributor, so that's something for another time I think.

Edited by Retro_10s, 22 July 2024 - 07:37 PM.

#347 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,138 posts

Posted 23 July 2024 - 07:55 AM

Extension to my earlier moan about the quality of aftermarket parts, the red powermax rotor arm is grazing one of the contact posts inside the new distributor cap now.

I checked the new red arm against an original blue Lucas arm and the contact is 0.40mm more proud... But I feel this could simply be a reasonable/expected difference between old and new,.. since it's only grazing one of the contacts in the cap, and the dizzy shaft has little to know sideways play...What are my options? Shave a little bit of the contact down inside the cap? It's too old to return sadly and I don't have the receipt.

I think it may just be hitting some slight burring of the edge of the post due to a poor machine finish?

** Edit **
Lack of concentration on my part here I think, I realise I have no vacuum advance fitted, and this has a locating tab for the dizzy cap, without this tab there is just enough movement for the cap to shift sideways, and I believe this is the cause for the above issue, there is certainly a burred rough finish on the posts which I will smooth off, but I think the cap is probably ok

Moral of the story, coffee first... Tinker and moan later. Not the other way around!

Edited by Retro_10s, 23 July 2024 - 08:36 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users