5 replies to this topic

#1 Mini Me

Mini Me

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 11:33 AM

Myself, and (mostly :) ) bluemini will be building an engine for the mini over the next few weeks!

At the mo the spec should be:

1275cc bored out to 1293cc
Ported and Polished Head
Kent 286 Cam
Valve Springs
Weber Carb
K & N air filter
Full Exhaust System :)

Cool!!! B)

#2 BleeDingGums

BleeDingGums

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 11:56 AM

Did you buy it as a kit or are u reconditioning 1.

#3 Mini Me

Mini Me

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 12:34 PM

all the bits are seperate....my mate bored out the 1293 and the rest i'm going to add with help :)

#4 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 03 November 2003 - 03:44 PM

:) :) and its got a 3.7/1 diff too

#5 BleeDingGums

BleeDingGums

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 November 2003 - 07:01 PM

How easy is it to change the diff ratio and wouldnt this be better off in the projects forum.

#6 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 03 November 2003 - 08:23 PM

Changin the diff ratio is an engine out job! But is fairly straight forward, apart from the fact you have to undo a nut that was done up by a 300 lbs gorilla in the Longbridge factory to some stupidly high torque setting...
You need to take the diff cover and side plates off at the back of the engine, then the diff will come out. Then you gotta take the speedo drive unit off to gain access to the tight nut holdng the pinion on the laygear. You must make sure that the pinion and crown-wheel are a matched pair or they'll break it when you try and drive it...
To work out the F/D count the number of teeth on the crown-wheel (the big cog attached to the diff), then divide that by the number of teeth on the pinion, eg: crown-wheel 64 teeth, pinion 17 teeth = F/D of 3.76 : 1
The higher the F/D, the better the excelleration will be, but top end suffers slightly and vice versa, the lower the F/D the worse the excelleration will be, but top end will be better... The best allround F/D for town/motorway driving is around 3.44 : 1 as used in the MG Metros... :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users