#181 camp freddy

camp freddy

Definitely Not Camp Or A Freddy

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,696 posts
  • Local Club: Wreake Mini Wanderers

Posted 07 November 2009 - 08:17 PM

luuuurvlyy!!! peter, as usual perfection........

#182 mighty mini jack

mighty mini jack

Mighty Before a Pint

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 08:18 PM

Awesome work Pete!

#183 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 07 November 2009 - 08:28 PM

Cheers jellyspoons!

#184 tedmcedd

tedmcedd

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:08 PM

prefer it without the bumper! may have to take mine off tomorrow just to see whta its like!!! looks smexy though! yum! :D

#185 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:28 PM

I know what you mean.. I refitted the dash tonight, and NOTHING works! the passenger side front light is the only thing I can get life out of! It's really stressing me out, I hate electrics. I've ordered a new fusebox and connectors, because the old ones were manky, and the lights on the other side came on after a bit of wiggling.

#186 bert998

bert998

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,558 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:38 PM

Have you had the vinyl yet dude? Two of the parcels I sent the same day as yours have gone awol so wondering if the same's happened with your trim?

I've got some carpet should you need it.

#187 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:42 PM

Ah! well it hasn't turned up yet, so I guess it my have gone walkies? What type of carpet do you have? I can get my hands on some flexi stuff, you heat it up and it goes round curves! great stuff, looks really professional.

#188 bert998

bert998

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,558 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:01 PM

hmmm. Typical, i didnt send the trim recorded either, doh! Probably sitting in a warhouse somewhere, victim of the strike.

I'll get some more out tommorow, and some carpet samples.

#189 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:04 PM

Groovy, thanks dude! If I end up with two lots, I'll send one back :D

#190 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:49 AM

Ahoy, been reading this thread for a while, infact since i started reading it when it was first published i have aquired a new job where we restore classic MG's and i must say thats a very nice and speedy restoration. good luck with all the niggly little bits left and hope you make a tidy profit, you should do as that is a very nice looking one. :xxx:

Alex

#191 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 05:45 PM

Come on lad your lagging.

#192 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:25 PM

Ah ok ok. Bit of a delayed update, due to lots of fiddly complications! I've been on it pretty much every evening and weekend the last couple of weeks, I was having problems starting it, as in it wouldn't do anything.. turned out the wires on the back of the ignition barrel had been switched around, and the HT leads re-arranged.. someones idea of a laugh.. :lol: Needless to say, I found it hucking filarious. That took me a week of nights to figure out, it was made more difficult due to the fact that I was looking at a '72 wiring diagram, yet it has a '73 'loom.. so soon figured that out, and then once I had got it started, I noticed alot of leaks from the radiator.. *note to self, radiators don't enjoy being sand blasted :shy: * So I found another relatively cheaply on ebay, and it eventually arrived today, and I fitted it tonight. After fitting it I noticed that the fuel line is leaking in a number of places, noteably, right above the exhaust manifold.. so after a mild panic attack, I ordered a new line kit.. Tonight I also notced that the rev counter wasn't working, due to a blown fuse, which took me until about half an hour ago to figure out.. I checked everything that was powered off that fuse, and it turned out to be the instrument voltage regulator, shorting against the wiper motor. It's fitted really close, so it was bound to happen, a marvellous bit of British Leyland engineering. Anyway I relocated it and bingo, all was gravy.

I have also finished restoring the dash, and cleaned up all the dials and switches, and sorted out the wiring to them, alot of it had been bodged and simply wasn't working. I HATE electrics, so it was an.. ahem.. interesting experience. At least I can now read wiring diagrams, which is nice.
Posted Image
Posted Image

I also wired up a stereo and speakers, and fag lighter.
Posted Image

I have also started trimming up the interior, I decided not to use my old carpets, mainly due to them looking like this
Posted Image

But, a new set costs over Ā£100 and I'm quickly running out of funds.. so I made my own. It sounds dodgy, but it actually looks alright.

Arch underlayed
Posted Image

I sourced a small sheep and flattened it over the transmission tunnel
Posted Image

Arch carpeted, and window surround trim fitted prior to rear card and capping
Posted Image

The battery tray area under the rear seat has always been open, which seems a bit stupid, so I made an ally plate and trimmed it to cover the hole.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Finished off the headliner.. unfortunately the webasto liner is cream not black, but hey, better than a slap round the face with a wet fish.
Posted Image

I drove up to Birmingham to pick up my newly trimmed interior from Chris of Retro RetrimsĀ® fame, and have slowly started fitting bits,
so far the top dash rail
Posted Image

And door cards and cappings
Posted Image

The interior is now mainly finished, apart from the seats and a few bits of trim in the back. The picture is a bit rubbish but it actually looks quite good! haha I sound surprised..
Posted Image

I have also got all the glass fitted, had an issue with the front windscreen rubber, the issue being that it was an inch too long >_<
Posted Image

I sent it back and got another one, that actually fitted! Miracle.

How on earth companies can get away with producing such a terribly fitting product, I have no idea.

Anyway that's about it for now, I'll be on it again this weekend, fitting the seats I hope, or the new fuel lines if they arrive in time.

Edited by panelbeaterpeter, 08 December 2009 - 10:29 PM.

#193 Teapot

Teapot

TMF Legend

• Members
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:32 PM

Still watching, still admiring. Super job.
Thought it would take me down memory lane but the dash is very different from my '65 one.

#194 mighty mini jack

mighty mini jack

Mighty Before a Pint

• Members
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 11:44 PM

Awesome work there Peter, I hope the sheep didn't mind being flattened.

#195 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:29 PM

Awesome work there Peter, I hope the sheep didn't mind being flattened.

I think it relished the experience.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users