57 replies to this topic

#1 Mini_Magic

Mini_Magic

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:37 PM

As many of you know, I got fed up with trying to use a Mini as a daily driver and sold it to buy something more sensible. I managed to pick up a Ford Focus with all the bells and whistles for £1600. Then in December, just four months after I had bought the Focus, my mums Ka failed its MOT and was going to be uneconomical to spend the money to get it though. As my mum really couldn't care about what car she drives, we decided it would be best if she had my Focus and I got myself a new car. So I decided that the car I wanted was a Honda Civic coupe, I probably wanted one of these in black for at least four years now. A few days later we found on in St. Albans for £1400 in good condition.

Posted Image

It's a Honda Civic EJ6, 6th Generation with a 1.6 8 valve engine. I was very pleased with the car, and still am to a degree, but it wasn't until we got it home that we discovered that the mileage had been wound back. Apart from that I'm very happy with it.

Posted Image

The blue car in the photo is a Vauxhall Astra Mk3 which was actually my second car, I sold it to my brother.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Plans are to probably keep it standard, still haven't decided if I want to make it completely factory standard or to modify it a bit. At the moment it's somewhere in the middle with some 17" TSW alloys that the car came with.

Posted Image

I spent a Sunday afternoon cleaning the engine with some Gunk, brilliant stuff but it doesn't half stink.

Posted Image

The interior has since been cleaned up a bit, the guy had stuck an air freshener on the passenger air bag.

Posted Image

Problems so far? The electric window on the passenger side got jammed and the window would not close properly. The fault turned out to be the runner needed lubricating, the window had also popped out of the runner so we had to remove the whole window and reinsert it. Driving down the lanes last weekend, some idiot couldn't judge the size of their car and so our mirrors hit and smashed the glass. They didn't bother to stop either. I had to buy a replacement glass mirror from Halfords. I believe the tracking is slightly out as the car pulls to the left a bit, although this could just be the camber of the road.

Edited by Black Civic, 22 January 2009 - 09:18 PM.

#2 Marky Tizz

Marky Tizz

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,434 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:11 PM

Looks nice mate, I really like civic coupes.

Maybe come to ace one day with you ;) hehe.

#3 StaffordSi

StaffordSi

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 11:32 AM

its a single cam 16Valve as well by the way

#4 Mini_Magic

Mini_Magic

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:07 PM

16 valve but just one camshaft? How does that work?

Edited by Black Civic, 22 January 2009 - 09:18 PM.

#5 mini-majic

mini-majic

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Local Club: south west minis

Posted 24 January 2009 - 09:06 PM

strange rocker assemblies. they are japenese after-all!

#6 Burnard

Burnard

4 gears good........... .......................5 gears Better

• Banned
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:08 PM

reminds me of the good old days under my mums old civic :P . first time ive genunily smiled since friday (having a bad week)

#7 MGMT

MGMT

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:13 PM

that is well nice! would love to get one!!!!!! (bloody insurance and age tho)

#8 Mini_Magic

Mini_Magic

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:19 PM

that is well nice! would love to get one!!!!!! (bloody insurance and age tho)

I was suprised how cheap the insurance was, considering it's insurance group 10 and has been modified. £575 for the year, I was paying nearly £800 for the Focus.

How come the Parkers website says this car has 8 valves then?

#9 Sam Walters

Sam Walters

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 06:20 PM

You less of a frightfull pasenger now?

#10 Mini_Magic

Mini_Magic

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:50 PM

A little update for you. Since buying the car, I have had two punchures on the front and rear nearside wheels in the space of a month. £30 each for part worn tyres so it wasn't a massive problem. Bought a set of spark plugs, oil filter and replacement oil to give it a good service and see if a service will help with the stalling on a slope issue. Did the spark plugs but someone had cross threaded one of the spark plug ports so the new one won't go all the way in. Can't find the oil filter wrench so I'll do the oil change some other time. Think I'd like some new wheels with higher profile tyres as the pot holes around here are a joke.

#11 roberts

roberts

Optimise Automotive

• Traders
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:06 PM

oo ive got a red civic coupe Vti :w00t: couldn't get insured on another integra after I wrote it off... so I got its baby brother!!

I hate the seats though.. theres no support so I'm going to replace them.

#12 Mini_Magic

Mini_Magic

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:37 PM

I find the seats very comfortable and supportive, but the fact that you have to readjust them after tilting them foward for passengers is a joke. Never seen another car do that, not even the Mini.

#13 Mini_Magic

Mini_Magic

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 03:16 PM

There was a terrible knocking noise when I drove the car yesterday and this morning. Turns out I forgot to tighten up three of the four wheel nuts when swapping the tyres over yesterday. Pretty dangerous when most of the jorney was on the motorway. Also adjusted the throtte cable today to bring up the idle speed and try to stop the engine from stalling on slopes. As smooth and as quiet as the engine is, you can definatly tell it's no where near a 97,000 mile engine.

#14 Pie

Pie

Crazy About Mini's

• Banned
  • 7,695 posts
  • Local Club: GoGoAuto

Posted 21 February 2009 - 04:38 PM

There was a terrible knocking noise when I drove the car yesterday and this morning. Turns out I forgot to tighten up three of the four wheel nuts when swapping the tyres over yesterday. Pretty dangerous when most of the jorney was on the motorway. Also adjusted the throtte cable today to bring up the idle speed and try to stop the engine from stalling on slopes. As smooth and as quiet as the engine is, you can definatly tell it's no where near a 97,000 mile engine.

Your almost as bad as CharlieBrown!! :P

#15 Mini_Magic

Mini_Magic

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 05:49 PM

The emphesis being on the word almost, I hope.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (2)