15 replies to this topic

#1 MrBounce

MrBounce

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 03:34 PM

I was going through a box of old photos and found a couple of pics of a Tickford Metro that my friend once had so I thought you guys would like a look. He bought it for next to no money, but it was seriously rotten underneath so he broke it. It wasn't worth anything back then (about 15 years ago). It once belonged to 70s singer Lynsey DePaul and was supposedly a Turbo with an Auto box from Tickford - however by the time he got his hands on it, it was normally aspirated - presumably because Tickford could never get it to work properly as this was made prior to the factory Turbo being released and the fact it was an Auto... 

The roof had very strange roof bars on which looked like they were made from a heavily varnished hard wood (only just visible in the pic) and it had a horrid body kit on it. From what I remember he kept everything from the interior (still waiting for him to put it in a Mini), but sold the body kit. The wheels were stolen from his boss's work unit. Don't know if he kept anything from the engine bay or not, but the car was beyond saving. There was daylight visible in several places in the floor and the heelboard was non-existent. Shame really with hindsight, but at the time it was not financially viable and nobody wanted to buy it.

The spec was massive for a 1981 small hatchback - electric heated seats, thick Wilton carpet and mats, everything trimmed in leather and there were numerous little additions here and there which stood over and above the standard Metro such as the fully trimmed steering column, custom dashboard, electric sunroof, massive (old) speakers in the doors, electric windows and wood cappings everywhere. It was quite an odd thing really.

Exterior shot

cca6191f-e2b8-415a-954a-dc4f33c7136d_zps

And lots of lovely leather & Wilton

Tickford202_zpsajhlk5ty.jpg

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,563 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 22 November 2015 - 03:57 PM

That's smasrt! Bet they went well!

#3 CMXCVIII

CMXCVIII

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 05:15 PM

Very much a creature of its time wasn't it :X 

Possibly - only possibly - one day, any survivors might come back into fashion ... along with shoulder pads and rolled up jacket sleeves  :dozing: 

Jon

#4 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,059 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 22 November 2015 - 06:23 PM

"When the Metro was launched as the Mini for the Eighties, it was almost inevitable that it would come in for similar treatment from Wood & Pickett…"

Those photos of a Metro that once belonged to singer Lynsey DePaul described as a Tickford Turbo with an Auto box......interior seems more upmarket than other Tickford Metros in links below and the dash has a hint of Wood & Pickett Mini dash about it....so was it actually a Wood & Pickett Metro perhaps?

"The Tickford name was owned by Aston Martin, whose engineers and stylists designed this car. The scope of the conversion echoed that of the later Tickford Capri…"

http://www.aronline....razer-tickford/

Magazine article here:-

http://www.flickrive...57635061366338/

Edited by mab01uk, 22 November 2015 - 06:46 PM.

#5 MrBounce

MrBounce

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,578 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 07:36 PM

You could well be right. I just remember him referring to it as a Tickford. I never saw any paperwork but who knows what it was registered as!

#6 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 12,059 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 07:38 PM

Found this on AROnline but sadly the link is broken (scroll down) :-

Modified Metros: Wood & Pickett Metros

"Another name from the Mini’s heyday – Wood and Pickett returned in 1981, offering some lavish Metro conversions, including the Ogle-styled Laser Metro… Wood and Pickett Laser Metro The Laser Metro was certainly treated as a bespoke car for discerning customers: price ranged from £11,000 to £17,000 and extras included Recaro seats, air conditioning and...."

http://www.aronline..../blogs/2011/07/

Edited by mab01uk, 22 November 2015 - 07:43 PM.

#7 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 12,059 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 07:51 PM

I think these ebay brochures, roofbars and the bodykit shape and style confirms it was actually a W&P......would probably have been worth restoring today as a rare car.

Wood & Pickett Ogle Metro Laser 1981 Brochure

WampP%20Ogle%20Metro_zps5inh9d3y.jpg

WampP%20Metro_zpsc1rn1n6s.jpg

Edited by mab01uk, 22 November 2015 - 07:57 PM.

#8 mininuts

mininuts

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Clan

Posted 22 November 2015 - 08:05 PM

I was going through a box of old photos and found a couple of pics of a Tickford Metro that my friend once had so I thought you guys would like a look. He bought it for next to no money, but it was seriously rotten underneath so he broke it. It wasn't worth anything back then (about 15 years ago). It once belonged to 70s singer Lynsey DePaul and was supposedly a Turbo with an Auto box from Tickford - however by the time he got his hands on it, it was normally aspirated - presumably because Tickford could never get it to work properly as this was made prior to the factory Turbo being released and the fact it was an Auto... 

The roof had very strange roof bars on which looked like they were made from a heavily varnished hard wood (only just visible in the pic) and it had a horrid body kit on it. From what I remember he kept everything from the interior (still waiting for him to put it in a Mini), but sold the body kit. The wheels were stolen from his boss's work unit. Don't know if he kept anything from the engine bay or not, but the car was beyond saving. There was daylight visible in several places in the floor and the heelboard was non-existent. Shame really with hindsight, but at the time it was not financially viable and nobody wanted to buy it.

The spec was massive for a 1981 small hatchback - electric heated seats, thick Wilton carpet and mats, everything trimmed in leather and there were numerous little additions here and there which stood over and above the standard Metro such as the fully trimmed steering column, custom dashboard, electric sunroof, massive (old) speakers in the doors, electric windows and wood cappings everywhere. It was quite an odd thing really.

Exterior shot

cca6191f-e2b8-415a-954a-dc4f33c7136d_zps

And lots of lovely leather & Wilton

Tickford202_zpsajhlk5ty.jpg

I love these, thanks for posting the pics. Shame your mate didn't have a crystal ball ;-)
I've got a press photo of a Tickford Metro somewhere. I'll find it, scan it and post it here.

#9 mininuts

mininuts

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Clan

Posted 22 November 2015 - 08:44 PM

Here you go

Tickford%20MG%20Metro.jpg

Also an old ad for a Tickford

290855058_2dcd30c714_o.jpg

Also found this. It's a dealer modified Mk2 from Henlys. Think it was just a light cosmetic make over, no performance mods.

Henlys%20High%20Society.jpg

#10 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 12,059 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:55 PM

It once belonged to 70s singer Lynsey DePaul

The lovely Lynsey singing in 1972.....sadly she died in 2014.

#11 minimat

minimat

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • Local Club: anglian mini club

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:07 AM

I rember this car,didnt he try to sell it but had no interest in it which is why he ended up stripping it?

#12 MrBounce

MrBounce

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,578 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 12:32 PM

Yup that's the one Matt. It was those weird roof bars that amused me. Almost nautical.

#13 JC T ONE

JC T ONE

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Local Club: no

Posted 09 January 2016 - 12:00 PM

I think these ebay brochures, roofbars and the bodykit shape and style confirms it was actually a W&P......would probably have been worth restoring today as a rare car.

Wood & Pickett Ogle Metro Laser 1981 Brochure

WampP%20Ogle%20Metro_zps5inh9d3y.jpg

WampP%20Metro_zpsc1rn1n6s.jpg

Yes the car is a rare early Wood & Pickett with the Margrave type dash (very rare) only a very few was build with this dash, before W&P changed the design.

#14 JC T ONE

JC T ONE

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Local Club: no

Posted 24 January 2016 - 06:44 AM

Richard who runs the Wood & Pickett group on fb, has informed me that he only knows af 3 Metro,s built by W&P with the Margrave dash.

Apparently did their costumers not like it, and told  W&P it was a old design, and that they needed to move foreward .

#15 MrBounce

MrBounce

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,578 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 08:12 AM

JC you're dead right. I spoke to my friend the other day and he confirmed that it was a Wood and Pickett Metro, not a Tickford.

Shows that my memory is a bit rubbish...

It's amazing what we threw away "back in the day". This was an unusual and rare car with some history but nobody wanted it in those days. Same thing happened to my Mini 25 after I sold it. Someone bought it for Ministox. Being a limited edition, even a basket case 25 has value today.

Edited by MrBounce, 24 January 2016 - 08:16 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users