#1 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,098 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:22 AM

Prompted by this story below on the Mk1 Forum I was reminded of US Mini enthusiast Ron Graham and tracked down this latest info on Clive Trickeys race Mini.

Quote - Nick Rogers: "Back in the 1980's a couple of lads came into the shop to tell me that they had found a race mini in a bloke's garage in Sheffield. The reg. was KTR223E. I thought this was a piss-take but went to check out the car. Sure enough it was Clive Trickey's race car still with his armchair driver's seat and sitting on gen Minilites with slicks. There was a set of D1's with wet tyres and a trailer to carry the car and all spares. The owner had won it in a triple C competition some years earlier but was happy to sell it for £400. I said that I would return with the dosh ASAP. On returning he said that he would like CCC to be reminded of the car and so had contacted them. No-one on the magazine knew anything about the car (This was the 80's remember) and due to some crossed wires they ran an ad which said "Wanted: Clive Trickey Mini". I was patiently waiting to buy the car but thanks to the advert, Ron Graham contacted the owner and offered £800. So Ron got the car. When I next saw it (at Beaulieu) it had an A plus engine fitted. When Ron finished his term in the USAF he took the car back to the States.
I have had lots of very nice cars over the years and business has meant I have needed to sell them to pay taxmen, VAT men or simply wages, but I'm sure that if I could have bought KTR, I would still have it."

I also remember Ron Graham when he was involved in the UK Mini scene and stationed over here with the USAF. I wondered if he still had the Clive Trickey Mini over in the USA, (I may still have some photos of it from that Beaulieu show back in the '80's), so did some research below and found:-

Update on the Clive Trickey race Mini today:
Ron Graham says:    
May 27, 2014 at 10:10 am    
"Looks like this is the event to be at! Wish I could have the Clive Trickey (KTR223E) mini there. I haven’t fired it up in over 12 years. I need to get it out of the back of the garage and do something with it. Doesn’t do them any good just sitting there. Last time I raced it was in 1994 in England. Last autocross was in 1997. I tagged it for the street in 2000. Drove it a few times and then put it away. Best wishes to all that attend this mile stone in Mini history."

Ron Graham says:    
May 28, 2014 at 4:39 pm    
"I didn’t mention that I bought my first mini (a 62) in 1967 and drove it my senior year of high school. Joined the USAF in 1977 so I could go to England. Was there twice for a total of 10 years. I couldn’t guess how many I’ve owned. Before my first trip to England, I had owned 9 minis. When I retired in 94 I brought 7 minis back with me. The only one I still have is the Trickey Mini."

Jim Houston says:    
May 27, 2014 at 11:13 am    
In 1973, I was stationed in England (Air Force) and I raced a 998 Mini in Mini Miglia. .. had a great time. Since coming back to the US, I’ve had 4 Classic Minis – the best was my ’64 Cooper ‘S’ with a 1275cc engine (original engine was a 1070cc).. The worst was the last one I had was one that was Vin tagged as a 1975, but was in fact an 1988 – what a pig! They mucked around with the suspension, increased the wheels to 12″ and put smog stuff on it. I tried to retrofit it, but it was just too much work, so I sold it and bought a Corvair (also a fun car, but that’s another story)..

Ron Graham says:    
May 27, 2014 at 5:48 pm    
You probably raced against my mini. Malcom Quickfall owned and raced it then (orange when he had it). I bought it from him in 1985. I restored it back to the way Trickey had it. I autocrossed here in states from 1986-90. Took it back to UK in 1990(Upper Heyford) raced mini miglia 93 & 94. In 94 miglia went from 998 to 1300cc. I ran 29 races finishing 27, including one race on Belgium Grand Prix circuit.

Ron Graham says:    
May 27, 2014 at 6:03 pm    
Forgot to mention, the first time Clive Trickey drove the mini I have was 47 years ago today. Also my birthday.

See more at: (scroll down)
The most mighty moving Minis? Mid-Ohio aims for largest all-Mini starting grid :-
http://blog.hemmings...-starting-grid/

Ron_Trickey_zpsf75906c9.jpg

"The pride and joy of Ron's collection is the real Clive Trickey Mini. Ron not only owns it, but he's autocrossed it. He's raced it. And he's gathered more information on the car and Clive than you'd believe is possible. And it is all fascinating. There are very few Minis around with this much history, and the man leaning on the car has documented it all !"
http://www.minimania...__MORE_VIRGINIA

Edited by mab01uk, 01 June 2014 - 10:23 AM.

#2 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 12,098 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:36 AM

Clive Trickey's race Mini started as a Mini Se7en when he was writing for Triple C magazine and was later converted to a Clubman fronted Mini Miglia with CCC sponsorship.

Tuningthemini_zps0d2aa483.jpg

Trickeymini7_zps12f0dbb3.jpg

BuildingRacingan850mini_zpsa83faa7c.jpg

CliveTrickey2_zps4fc88060.jpg

142CliveTrickey_zpsf35d4fe1.jpg

#3 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:39 PM

I have those books fantastic reading about racing on a budget from your garage

#4 Bubblebobble

Bubblebobble

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 09:12 PM

I dont get it , does the American own the clubman ? I thought that was built by CCC as a tribute to Clive or built by him or something , and that ktr 223 was completely different , being his 850 racer ?

#5 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 12,098 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 10:55 PM

I dont get it , does the American own the clubman ? I thought that was built by CCC as a tribute to Clive or built by him or something , and that ktr 223 was completely different , being his 850 racer ?

The American Ron Graham owns the ex-Clive Trickey CCC Clubman.......it started life as Clive Trickeys green KTR223E 850 Mini 7 racer and was later converted by Clive Trickey into the CCC sponsored Miglia racer at which time he fitted the Clubman front end, which was permitted by the race rules back then. After Clives untimely death the Mini passed through other owners until Ron Graham eventually bought it and exported it to the USA.

Trickey%20Miglia_zpslldgzrju.jpg

As seen at Beaulieu before it went to USA.

Edited by mab01uk, 03 September 2016 - 03:04 PM.

#6 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 12,098 posts

Posted 18 August 2023 - 06:43 PM

4mvEC2G.jpg

rzk42n8.jpg

iyTQqUP.jpg

#7 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 12,098 posts

Posted 18 August 2023 - 06:44 PM

RI5iP4q.jpg

H8f4ZaJ.jpg

uF2iidi.jpg

Qe7qler.jpg

TqjM1Jj.jpg

#8 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,947 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 18 August 2023 - 11:14 PM

One Brands Hatch Mini se7en meeting, I remember waving to Clive as I swept past him at the bottom of Paddock Bend.

At the time his car was pirouetting on its roof.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users