Photo
- - - - -

Galvanizing A Rear Subframe...anyone Ever Done It?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,132 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 26 September 2009 - 11:59 PM

I'm sure someone has, however was it sucessful?

Is it even possible?

Is it really as good an idea as it sounds?

#2 newdawn1st

newdawn1st

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts
  • Local Club: Fylde Mini Club

Posted 27 September 2009 - 12:10 AM

What I found thus far, nothing on subframes yet..

Galvanising is the process of applying zinc to mild steel to provide it with a strong and protective coating that lasts for up to 100 years.

The end finish is resilient to aggressive handling, which, over the last 150 years, has been solidly proven to provide a long-lasting, tough and low-maintenance coating. Importantly, galvanised coatings are also recyclable, giving the steel an almost continuous life span.

So if it can be done :lol: all round I'd think

but

Since the process involves subjecting materials to extremely high temperatures, it is critical that our clients’ materials are fabricated with no sealed tubes, blind corners or any other potentially explosive areas. Customers should ensure that materials are free from all welding *woman of ill repute*, heavy grease and paint from the products, as these will not be dislodged by pre-treatment chemicals.

(from a different site but still applies)

Don't know how much this applies to subframes

As for the 'self heal' it, found this

Zinc coatings prevent corrosion of the protected metal by forming a physical barrier, and by acting as a sacrificial anode if this barrier is damaged. When exposed to the atmosphere, zinc reacts with oxygen to form zinc oxide, which further reacts with water molecules in the air to form zinc hydroxide. Finally zinc hydroxide reacts with carbon dioxide in the atmosphere to yield a thin, impermeable, tenacious and quite insoluble dull grey layer of zinc carbonate which adheres extremely well to the underlying zinc, so protecting it from further corrosion, in a way similar to the protection afforded to aluminium and stainless steels by their oxide layers.

lol @ swear filter and its interpretation of waste metal from welding^^

#3 gregh55

gregh55

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts
  • Local Club: naaa

Posted 27 September 2009 - 12:52 AM

sounds like a good idea to be honest :lol:

#4 Mk1Jim

Mk1Jim

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 08:15 AM

Well i have a galv chassis on my 109 CSW, so dont see why you cant galv a subframe.

#5 tadleysimon

tadleysimon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • Local Club: basingstoke mini club

Posted 27 September 2009 - 08:21 AM

a guy from our club has had his rear subframe galv'd. i know he got a friend of a friend to do it on the cheap but i can ask him about it if you want.

and since hes got one i answered one question, yes its possible lol

#6 secondopsman

secondopsman

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:12 AM

The simple amswer is YES you can.I called in at our local galvenizers(joseph ash) who we use at work and showed them mine rear subframe and they said it would be no problem.However they had a minimum order charge of £110 or 1/4 ton so im going to add it in with our next order.Perhaps we could do a TMF group galvo session.
Pete

#7 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • 13,132 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:16 AM

Funnily enough we have a joesph ash by us as well!!

I've got a mate who does gates, my plan was to stick it in with his next batch of stuff.

Mind you, if you get say 10 peeps who want it done thats only £11 per frame to do it, you can't even buy paint for that much!!!

So it it is possible then, thats one question answered.

It seems like its a good idea, the info that newdawn found confirmed what my gate making friend told me as well.

I think they'd also look kinda cool as well.

#8 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:18 AM

A Landrover chassis is made from fairly thick steel. A Mini subframe is made from fairly thin steel. Whenever people have tried to offer galv subframes for sale in the past they have tended to be warped, a few people have done their own successfully but it needs a very careful dip, you can't just throw a load of them in because of the tendency to warp. Subframes tend to rust out from areas where the galv wouldn't coat them anyway such as between the welded sections of the webs, when you also bear in mind that they are also made from pre-coated steel now anyway you have to wonder how much longer a galv frame would last.

#9 newdawn1st

newdawn1st

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts
  • Local Club: Fylde Mini Club

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:24 AM

A Landrover chassis is made from fairly thick steel. A Mini subframe is made from fairly thin steel. Whenever people have tried to offer galv subframes for sale in the past they have tended to be warped, a few people have done their own successfully but it needs a very careful dip, you can't just throw a load of them in because of the tendency to warp. Subframes tend to rust out from areas where the galv wouldn't coat them anyway such as between the welded sections of the webs, when you also bear in mind that they are also made from pre-coated steel now anyway you have to wonder how much longer a galv frame would last.

Pretty much what I have heard before, on the tendency to warp. Thanks for confirming that Dan, but at least some people have done it successfully before though.

Edited by newdawn1st, 27 September 2009 - 10:24 AM.

#10 Nightrain

Nightrain

One Carb Or Two?

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:34 AM

Mate had his front frame done, the company he used braced the frame. Because they said it would warp to much if they didn't. Also bear in mind you need a god set of taps to run through all the threads afterwards.
You will need the correct primer to paint it, normal paint just peels off.

#11 Calman

Calman

• Members
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:56 AM

what is the advantage of galvanising them?

#12 Nightrain

Nightrain

One Carb Or Two?

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:57 AM

what is the advantage of galvanising them?

Basically, Zinc doesn't rust.

#13 Calman

Calman

• Members
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 11:05 AM

ah im with ya. Sounds good but to much £ on my budget :lol:

#14 MRA

MRA

Previously known as 'mra-minis.co.uk'.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,607 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 01:12 PM

Treat any minor corrosion and apply a good thick coat of high quality paint....... if it's too rusty don't even bother it's just a disaster waiting to happen...

As for stress, if the heat is going to buckle or warp the subframe then placing it in a jig to hold it in the correct position will induce internal stresses that will manifest themselves at he first pot hole you find..... or worse still will create fatigue failure stress points in the welds :lol:

#15 Joloke08

Joloke08

Not banned but still weird

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 01:39 PM

Shifty
This guy does them :lol: He was at Bristol Mini Day plus also at Blaise Castle he was next to our clubstand (Blakehill Minis)
The results were excelent we were considering in the future getting the rear done on Boris :- Doesnt need doing at present but considering it for the future =]

He charges £85 you supply the subby and he does all the stripping/galvanising etc :thumbsup:
If you can get them done for £11 per subby i doubt anybody could beat that :thumbsup:

But ive seen them with my own eyes and yes it can be done :crazy:

Huggz
Jodie :-
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users