#1 evil ewok

evil ewok

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Local Club: A's of Herts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:35 PM

Not completely sure if this is the right section to post this in but im a bit confused.

I emailed a company about making/modifying driveshafts for my k series conversion and this was the reply:

"Morning Luke

I see from your e-mail, you have at last succumbed to the dark side – Welcome

Anyway, back to the shafts for your X-wing, as long as the pressure angles on the splines are either 37½ and 45 degrees, we are able to assist..."

What is the pressure angle and where can i find out what the angles are on the k series and mini driveshafts?

cheers

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:31 AM

I make the assumption that these are the angles at which the splines are cut, which suggests they only have the tooling to do 37.5 and 45 degree angle splines.

What I would do is send them the two joints the driveshaft is required to connect to and the desired length and let them sort it out..

#3 evil ewok

evil ewok

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Local Club: A's of Herts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:15 PM

I've done alot of searching on google and managed to find out what the pressure angle is

" The pressure angle is the basic included angle of the spline tooth (see diagram above). Common axle spline pressure angles are 30* (60* included angle) and 45* (90* included angle). 45* pressure angle splines offer a slight strength advantage because for a given major diameter spline the teeth of a 45* spline are shorter-allowing for a larger minor diameter size.
Dana and some GM axles are 30 deg. , Ford, Toyota, some GM, and most racing axles are 45 deg. Some rockwell and older axles are 37.5 deg pressure angle.
The most importnat thing is to ensure you MATCH the pressure angle of the shaft with the pressure angle of the carrier being used. It is no good at all to try and cram a 45* pressure angle aftermarket axle shaft into an OEM 30* pressure angle carrier - like forcing a square cut spline in an involute carrier, the stress would be focused on far too small an area creating uneven pressure points and unnaceptable stress raisers begging for failure."

Posted Image

now i just need to work out how to measure it :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users