80 replies to this topic

#1 Big_jim

Big_jim

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:33 PM

Iv finally got some pics of my mini turbo project...

I bought this mini last weekend, it is my 7th mini....

It has a 1340 turbo charged engine and is de-seamed.... it has recently had a full re-spray in vauxhall metalic black and is very very shiny!!

The engine has been dyno'd at the nobel garage and apparently makes 108bhp at the wheels..... this is without being intercooled... (which im in the process of!!)

the car has a steel flip front and currently has no interior... but it did come with 2 brand new corbau forza seats... It has a full cage and is fitted with 13inch minilites....

I am currently looking for a wiring loom for the car as the one in it is a mini metro mix and is a right mess so im gonna throw it away n start again...

Please leave your comments...

Thanks
Jim
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Big_jim, 23 May 2007 - 10:55 PM.

#2 Boab

Boab

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts
  • Local Club: E*S*M*O*C

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:50 PM

Wow, what a find. Nice in black too. The wiring doesn't look too bad, but get some bungs for the unsable wiper holes.

#3 Big_jim

Big_jim

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:54 PM

Wow, what a find. Nice in black too. The wiring doesn't look too bad, but get some bungs for the unsable wiper holes.

Thanks for the comments mate, I have loads of stuff on order for the car and bungs are on the list....

The wiring is all linked inside the car and it is a bit of a mess.... might be salvagable but i dont think its worth it....

Thanks
Jim

#4 Boab

Boab

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,610 posts
  • Local Club: E*S*M*O*C

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:09 PM

Thanks for the comments mate, I have loads of stuff on order for the car and bungs are on the list....

The wiring is all linked inside the car and it is a bit of a mess.... might be salvagable but i dont think its worth it....

Thanks
Jim

Before disconnecting any wires, close photographic evidence is a must. Believe me, 2 years down the line, I've not got a clue where my wiring goes. My fault really.

#5 CanadianMiniFan

CanadianMiniFan

• Members
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:39 PM

sounds sweet...any more engine mods planned?

#6 MINIMON

MINIMON

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 07:51 PM

wheres the hose from the cylinder head goin ? lookin good what are you planning for the interior

#7 MINIMON

MINIMON

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 08:02 PM

also what turbo has it got/getting any other angine mods planned

Edited by MINIMON, 28 February 2007 - 08:06 PM.

#8 Big_jim

Big_jim

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 12:59 AM

Apparently its a T25 turbo, but i dont know how to check....

Its also got a stage 3 head and low comp pistons....

Also apparently quite a trick gearbox but we will have to wait n see when i get her running...

The stainless hose loops round the cylinder head n in to the heated manifold.. i think it looks pretty smart...

Iv just ordered all the gubbins for the intercooler, the interior will consist of a red carpet, forza bucket seats on modified pug309 GTI sub frames.... Custom dash and door cards....

Thanks
Jim

#9 koss

koss

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts
  • Local Club: The Greenbank working mens social club

Posted 01 March 2007 - 02:28 AM

Nice looking mini jim, but I don't understand the theory behind the heated manifold and an intercooler.
Or is the turbo water cooled?

#10 Big_jim

Big_jim

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 05:30 PM

I dont understand it really either.... i think its supposed to make the cars run better in the cold and when the engine is cold.....

if anyone else has a take on this i would be interested....

if it turns out pointless or worse than not having it heated then i will just use the bent section to link straight in to the heater hose.....

Thanks
Jim

#11 $way

$way

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • Local Club: ...

Posted 01 March 2007 - 06:44 PM

if anyone else has a take on this i would be interested....

if it turns out pointless or worse than not having it heated then i will just use the bent section to link straight in to the heater hose.....

i'd disconnect the inlet mate, your cooling the air so it is more dense and also becuase itll heat after the compression. with the heated inlet connected your re-heating the cooled air. bit pointless really.

#12 koss

koss

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts
  • Local Club: The Greenbank working mens social club

Posted 02 March 2007 - 05:12 AM

Cold and damp air is the ideal, a little shot of water and nos will cool it to the ideal (getting carried away now).
I don't know if su carbs suffer from freezing problems in a turbo application. you may have to do some research Jim.

#13 Big_jim

Big_jim

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 11:26 AM

Iv asked the question on turbo minis...

and it doesnt make enough differance to warrant removing it... it has apparently been tested....

thanks for the ideas tho guys...

Jim

#14 Big_jim

Big_jim

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 05:34 PM

Well iv just come in from working on the mini most of the afternoon, I fetched a rear loom this morning courtesy of Udo....
so vi been removing the old and replacing with new this afternoon....

The reasoning behind this will become very apparent when u look at the pics. The car had 2 full rear looms, both fed under the floor brace/seat mount and up through the rear seat and then through the seat back..... one down either side...
and one partial loom just at the rear....

none of the looms were full or in any decent state to repair so they will be scrapped....

thats not where it ends tho, cause allong with the looms were 2 lengths of 4 core cable one into the boot as with the looms and one just fed from the dash to the back coiled up....

the mind boggles!!!

so now the car has only one rear loom, which is fed through the roof channel and down the "A" pillar as its supposed to be...

Iv also come up against another couple of problems this week... the replacement fron loom i got sent was the wrong type...(solenoid on the wing, mine is on the starter)

and the rear lights are the wrong kind for the year of car(no reverse lights) oh and their wiring has been butchered too....

i have however got the wiper motor and mechanism fitted, re fitted the exhaust (looked like it had been fitted by a blind guy) as it was sitting against the rear subframe, freed off the handbrake quadrants so i can actually put it on now, and sorted a place for my intercooler to sit....

these pics are as it is now, (im gonna run the loom inside the car behind th dash)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The old looms....

Posted Image

thanks
Jim

Edited by Big_jim, 23 May 2007 - 10:57 PM.

#15 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 07:22 PM

I guess the 4 core wire from the dash to the rear might have been put in for speakers? or do you already have some decent wire for that in there?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users