6 replies to this topic

#1 zcars

zcars

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:34 PM

Started cutting off sills, whats the best way to tidy up. What to cut off next?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 liam_italian

liam_italian

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:59 AM

I'd continue to cut off the sill as you have been doing, then I'd grind off what left of the part that meets the door step.

I'd look at doing some repair work to the inner sills then as your looks a little scabby! Then weld on the new sill!

#3 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,922 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 22 July 2011 - 10:38 AM

Like already mentioned remove the remainder of the outer sill and the consider replacing the complete inner sill section both sides. I would recommend the inner sill replacements from M Machine. Good quality and they are a decent thickness of metal unlike some of the other pattern panels out there.

#4 zcars

zcars

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 08:32 PM

Posted Image

Got some new sills yesterday, whats the best way of marking up and removing the inner sill for welding. Do i have to butt joint or can i overlap after cutting the rust out?

#5 CLM

CLM

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 08:51 PM

Posted Image

Got some new sills yesterday, whats the best way of marking up and removing the inner sill for welding. Do i have to butt joint or can i overlap after cutting the rust out?

Butt join or overlap is really going to be personal preference, I personally like but joining as it's not that much more work, however I know I wont have an unpaintable seam there trying to turn into a rust sandwich as I would be able to see both sides of the metal.

Chris

#6 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,106 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 08:56 PM

I would use the whole of the new inner sill/floor pan panel and overlap it with the original floor pan by about an inch and a half after that first flute.

I seam welded mine on each side of the overlap and did a row of zig zagged plug welds between them.
Posted Image

#7 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,132 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:00 PM

I like to leave a 10mm overlap and then joddle the edge.

Posted Image

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users