8 replies to this topic

#1 zcars

zcars

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:35 PM

Started Cleaning the underseal off the floor using a gasket scraper, blow torch and a paint stipping disc. There are quite a few holes as can bee seen. I am not sure about the next steps do i cut the sills out and areas of floor that are rusting or replace the lot?

Posted Image

">

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 ANON

ANON

More Jammy than a Jammy dodger.

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Local Club: pony

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:53 PM

hard to tell for sure without seeing it in the flesh or more pics.

you can get a full length section that includes outer sill, cross member extension etc that goes past the first dip in the main floor pan.

#3 zcars

zcars

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:16 PM

hope these help

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#4 zcars

zcars

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:53 PM

More photos

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,943 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:39 PM

I think changing the whole floor is excessive as the most of the damage seems to be localised to the outer and inner sill areas.

Changing the whole floor is a big job whereas the damage you have got there could be taken away by a complete inner sill section or by the repair sections mentioned by Anon.

Have you had a look at the M Machine website http://www.m-machine...ew_Products.htm they make or can get virtually every single panel you could possibly need. The repair sections they make themselves are of very good quality and will cover everything you need to repair that floor.

I would recommend you remove the conduit channel running along the floor as well to see if there is anything nasty hiding under there. They are cheap so well worth doing.

What's the state of the floor inside the car as this could be the tipping point as to whether you need to change the complete unit. Have a good look at the heelboard as well plus the internal crossmember. All of these items can be bought individually but if you do decide to buy the complete floor they come as part of the assembly.

The pictures do not show enough detail to be honest. Yes the inner and outer sill areas are shot but the rest of the floor unless you take good quality close ups is difficult to ascertain as the reflection from the camera flash/sunlight reflection masks any other damage.

Edited by sonikk4, 13 July 2011 - 01:40 PM.

#6 zcars

zcars

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 08:26 PM

Been to M-machine yesterdat to get some inner and outer sills as i think the floor is gouing to be ok Posted Image

Posted Image

Whats the best way to cut out the inner sill. Do i need to butt joint the sill and existing floor or can i over lap the two?

#7 jonny d

jonny d

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:05 PM

Been to M-machine yesterdat to get some inner and outer sills as i think the floor is gouing to be ok Posted Image

Posted Image

Whats the best way to cut out the inner sill. Do i need to butt joint the sill and existing floor or can i over lap the two?

you can overlap the floor onto the innersill thats how i did mine then weld both edges in and out

#8 corrado vr6

corrado vr6

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 10:27 PM

Being as though no one else has mentioned it and by my working out the repair panels are for the passenger side is that correct?? As from the pics it looks like the drivers side has an oversill welded on i bet if you were to remove that you would find simular rot on that side to! Sorry if you knew this already or intended to do it but thought i best mention it just incase as yes oversills look tidy but are generally hiding a lot of rot!!

Just looked at your other post i see your removing it anyway!! Enjoy!

Edited by corrado vr6, 24 July 2011 - 10:30 PM.

#9 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,943 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:09 PM

There are several trains of thought with regarding how to weld the sill into the floor.

Personally i butt weld in and as the floor section will be seen on Erm when eventually he gets to a show i wanted a nice smooth finish underneath. Other people advocate over lapping and seam welding which is good for a every day use sort of car.

However if you want the smooth look underneath then joggle the floor. It is more work but again it can be seam welded both sides and the underside can be ground flush for a nice smooth finish.

Its your choice really but they are all as good as each other the only thing that counts is how well you can weld.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users